double panel radiator problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chad52
Apprentice
Apprentice

double panel radiator problem

by chad52 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 pm

im sorry if this question has been asked before but i cant se to find in forums.i had my walls replastered back to the brick and two double panel radiators had to be removed.when the radiators were put back on i found later that only one panel of the radiator filled up on both of them.if i try to bleed the other panel on each i hear no hissing so obviously its not filling and i dont know why.can anyone help me to correct this problem.many thanks
chad

brill problem solved and yes it was blockage of bleed screws on both radiators as guys who removed did indeed store them upside down which caused problem.many thanks to all who have helped me and most of all to this site who gave me the technical support i needed.
brill thx so much again.
chad
Last edited by chad52 on Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Bunsen
Ganger
Ganger

by Barry Bunsen » Thu May 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi
Incredible coincidence to have the same problem on 2 separate radiators. I assume each rad has 2 bleed screws - one for each panel - but only one on each rad seems to function. I assume the full panels are pressurised. Do the full panels actually heat up and if so is any part of the unbled panels heated?

chad52
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chad52 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Barry Bunsen wrote:Hi
Incredible coincidence to have the same problem on 2 separate radiators. I assume each rad has 2 bleed screws - one for each panel - but only one on each rad seems to function. I assume the full panels are pressurised. Do the full panels actually heat up and if so is any part of the unbled panels heated?

both rads were took off wall same time put back about three mths later by guys doing plastering.yes the rads have two bleed screws and only one will hiss and fill giving heat the other does not fill at all so no heat on that one panel.i dont know about pressurising or how to do so.my heating works from combi boiler and thx much for replying to my problem
chad

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Fri May 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi Chad,

You could perhaps try sutting off all of the radiators except one of the two problematic ones. Then try bleeding the cold panel again. If that works, do the same for the other one.

As Barry says, it seems a coincidence for two of them to do the same thing. It could be that the bleed valves have somehow become blocked.

Barry Bunsen
Ganger
Ganger

by Barry Bunsen » Fri May 14, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi
By pressurising I simply meant filling with water at the same pressure as the rest of the heating system. Clearly one panel on each rad does pressurise and the other does not. I can only think there is a blockage on each one. You could try removing them again and flushing out with a hosepipe in the garden. Completely take off the bleed valve if you do this and check it isnt blocked (you could try this with the rads in situ but it could go pear shaped if you cant get the valve back on and the rad starts filling!)
Depending on their age it could be new rad time. At least you have the Summer to think about it.
Good luck.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat May 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Turn off both radiator valves, remove the radiator vent nipple fully.

Insert a pin/needle into the vent point, be prepared for a little water - dust sheet and a quick hand - re-instating the vent nipple required.

htg

harberg
Labourer
Labourer

Double radiator

by harberg » Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi
I would think that just like everybody else you stored the radiator upside down to avoid the black water sitting at the bottom spilling onto the carpet.
This will probably have blocked the bleed hole. A pin will do the trick!

chad52
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chad52 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Dave From Leeds wrote:Hi Chad,

You could perhaps try sutting off all of the radiators except one of the two problematic ones. Then try bleeding the cold panel again. If that works, do the same for the other one.

As Barry says, it seems a coincidence for two of them to do the same thing. It could be that the bleed valves have somehow become blocked.

excellent advice and although my heart jumped when i pound problem it has saved me a few quid getting a heating engineer as it was a bleed valve blockage and when i inserted wire to test the amount of air escaping startled me thx so much dave
chaq

chad52
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chad52 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 pm

htg engineer wrote:Turn off both radiator valves, remove the radiator vent nipple fully.

Insert a pin/needle into the vent point, be prepared for a little water - dust sheet and a quick hand - re-instating the vent nipple required.

htg

thank you so much this did indeed prove to be the cause and has saved a big headache for me and expense boy did i jump when air came out after removing blockage
cheers
chad

chad52
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chad52 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Barry Bunsen wrote:Hi
By pressurising I simply meant filling with water at the same pressure as the rest of the heating system. Clearly one panel on each rad does pressurise and the other does not. I can only think there is a blockage on each one. You could try removing them again and flushing out with a hosepipe in the garden. Completely take off the bleed valve if you do this and check it isnt blocked (you could try this with the rads in situ but it could go pear shaped if you cant get the valve back on and the rad starts filling!)
Depending on their age it could be new rad time. At least you have the Summer to think about it.
Good luck.

thank you barry for the help you gave me and i will earmark your words for future use if needed it was a bleed valve blockage on both radiators and back up and running again
thank you
chad

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Mon May 17, 2010 10:17 pm

Chad,

Thanks for getting back to us. It's so frustrating when we never find out whether advice has been of any use. Glad you sorted the problem.

jonboy123
Labourer
Labourer

Re: double panel radiator problem

by jonboy123 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks a lot for this guys. Just about to go buy a new rad as could't figure this one out.

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm