Double pole switch acting weird!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thiele
Labourer
Labourer

Double pole switch acting weird!

by thiele » Wed May 26, 2010 9:29 am

My electrical shower stopped working recently after about 5 years. I replaced the heating element without success but the problem seems to be in the double pole switch:
Wen I turn it on, the light indicator is on showing that there is connection. But when I then turn on the shower (which doesn't heat) the indicator light goes off! The fuse in the consumer unit does not jump so there is no short circuit. When I turn the shower back off, the indicator light on the double pole switch illuminates again. Could this be a problem in the double pole switch? I canno understand how all of a sudden the connection is broken with turning on the shower (after it worked for so many years). Even if the shower would be broken, there is no reason why the indicator light should go off if the consumer unit fuse stays active.

I checked the wire rating and grounding of all the water pipes and that is in order. The fuse rating is OK and the double pole switch rating is 45 ams so no problem there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu May 27, 2010 11:14 pm

thiele,
It's really not worth messing with your shower, I'd recommend you fit a new one.
end

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat May 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi,
sounds like a loose connection in the DP switch or dirty contact inside, either way I would get the switch changed as problem seems to be load related.
Presume you have checked all other connections ie at shower end & consumer unit end, with mains switched off!

regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:41 pm