Double Trouble
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris Jones
Labourer
Labourer

Double Trouble

by chris Jones » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Hello All, I recently swapped over a double Switch at the entrance to my hall for a Double Dimmer switch, and the single switch on the landing for its equivalent single Dimmer.

The Double dimmer operates the hall on one switch and the Landing on the other, Somewhere along the way I have messed up the downstairs double Dimmer, I can switch on the landing light from down stairs in the Hall but cant switch it off from the landing. Is there or has anyone a wiring diagram for this style of circuit please. Your help is gratefully appreciated.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:45 pm

There are two methods used but most popular as it does not require any connectors in switch is to connect all three terminals like for like with L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 and most important Com to Com. The switch wires from light go to L1 and L2. (Com only connects switch to switch.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Double Trouble

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 pm

[quote="chris Jones"]Hello All, I recently swapped over a double Switch at the entrance to my hall for a Double Dimmer switch, and the single switch on the landing for its equivalent single Dimmer.

The Double dimmer operates the hall on one switch and the Landing on the other, Somewhere along the way I have messed up the downstairs double Dimmer, I can switch on the landing light from down stairs in the Hall but cant switch it off from the landing. Is there or has anyone a wiring diagram for this style of circuit please. Your help is gratefully appreciated.[/quote]

CHRIS
Try the project section of this site on lighting and switching

BLAKEY1963

chris Jones
Labourer
Labourer

by chris Jones » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 am

Thank you, I have looked at the project section cant seem to make a relation to the circuit I have. Example. Common is ? L1 ? and so forth. Sorry to be a pain but its been years since I have worked on this type of project and All my Reference books are tied up at my Ex-Wife's at the moment.
Regards
Chris

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:52 am

[quote="chris Jones"]Thank you, I have looked at the project section cant seem to make a relation to the circuit I have. Example. Common is ? L1 ? and so forth. Sorry to be a pain but its been years since I have worked on this type of project and All my Reference books are tied up at my Ex-Wife's at the moment.
Regards
Chris[/quote]

CHRIS
As you are not sure of the situation , get an electrician in to guide you

BLAKEY1963

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:40 pm