down lights in kitchen won't stay on
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jane meggitt
Labourer
Labourer

down lights in kitchen won't stay on

by jane meggitt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:32 pm

We had 8 down lights fitted into the new extension kitchen ceiling. (Dare I say, by a registered electrician)! There are two rows of 4. They were all working for I think, a couple of months before the problems started. One light in one row went, so we changed the bulb, thinking it was that. The light worked for a couple of days, then went off. The light next to that one, also went out, so we changed the bulb and so on and so forth, until all 4 lights in that row, were on for a day or two, then would go off until we went up and 'wiggled' with the fitting till the light came back on again. Then a bulb in the other row which had not given us any problems for a couple of years, that went out, but we new it had to be the bulb that had gone, but since changing that, that one only stays on for a day or two now, before we have to go up and 'wiggle' with the wires and take the bulb out and put it back in again, to make it work. This is becoming such a nuisance as I can have only 3 out of the 8 lights working! My husband has changed the fittings on 2 of them, but the problem persists. Please could someone explain why this is happening and what can be done to resolve it. Thank you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi jane meggitt,
Sounds very much like a loose connection,
Isolate the circuit and one fitting at a time check all conductors are tight in to correct terminals. If problem persists after that, could be some damage to cable, which would best sorted out by an electrician.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:55 pm