Downlighter - plasterboard flammable surface?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

Downlighter - plasterboard flammable surface?

by Heeber » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:35 am

Hi folks - been reading the boards incognito for a while - so thanks for advice gained already!!

I am replacing a std light fitting in a bathroom with 4x240v downlighters (I've got the appropriately rated ones). In the leaflet with the lights, it says can use 50watt halogens - but if on flammable surface, must be max 35watt.

So, ceiling is basic plasterboard - can i go 50watt?

Many thanks,
Heeb

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:02 am

Hi Heeber,
you can get flame/heat resistant plasterboards, but I would not really consider plasterboard a conbustable material. In fact it is used in seperated walls as a fire prevention method especially in loft spaces. If there is any insolation in the ceiling that would be a factor though.
You need to be careful when installing electrics in bathrooms as part p of the building regulations need to be applied. Some lights are not allowed in certain areas in the bathroom (known as zones) light fittings in these zones should be IP rated. I'm sure there is some info on the zones in bathrooms, on this site and there is info on part p!
Sorry not been over helpful but i'm thinking of your safety and the people around you.
Regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:26 pm