downlighters!!!
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rose
Ganger
Ganger

downlighters!!!

Post by rose » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi
Am renovating an old house, and I would like to put downlighters plus a pendant light in all the bedrooms as they do in new builds.
Bit I have been told that we will have to leave at least a 600mm space away from the downlighters for the insultation in the loft.

1. does anyone know if this is correct and
2. Is it unusual to have downlighters and pendant in bedrooms? (I know it's personal choice).

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

lights

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:28 am

if your fixing downlighters you need firecaps fitted over the lamps to prevent fire .the insulation needs to be 200mm away from the fitting
personal choice with whatever fittings you use

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

Post by eljaybee » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:12 am

you do have to keep the insulation away from the downlighters but you must not leave holes in the insulation. There are types of downlighter that can be installed and allow the insulation to be laid directly over them. Other types of downlighter and metal boxes that fit over the downlighter and allow the insulation to be laid over the top thus creating the necessary void. You do get a number of electricians that say you should not cover the downlighters but there are wrong and the building regulations require that the insulation is continuous.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:04 pm