Downstairs lighting gone, but fuses OK
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve.block
Labourer
Labourer

by steve.block » Thu May 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Every downstairs light in my house has stopped working simultaneously. Naturally, as all upstairs lights and all power sockets still work fine, I assumed this would mean that one of the two 5-amp fuses in the main box that had gone. However, all fuses are intact, and swapping the two 5-amps over still leaves upstairs working and downstairs not working.

No work was being done on anything electrical when this started. No bulbs have gone. Any ideas please? If it's a break in a main wire somewhere near the fuse box, how can I trace it?

Thanks

Steve

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Steve, unlikely to be break in cable, unless damaged but then usually fuse would blow , so look at location of fuse board- try to work out which would be the nearest ceiling light to it and test there for Live & neutral. if you don't have access to test meter can use lampholder, lamp & short piece of flex to test carefully. I fuse board has been changed at any time possible some wires may have been extended inside fuse board so worth a look there for connectors. If no luck a good leckie will have means of trace testing cable with tone injection kit, sorry but not easy to diagnose by remote! but you have done basics already,
Regards SPARX

steve.block
Labourer
Labourer

by steve.block » Fri May 11, 2007 8:24 am

Thanks for the advice, Sparx. I may need to get in an electrician - something I've not done for over 20 years. What's the best way to find a good local person, do you think? Is there a particular qualification/membership I should look for to avoid cowboys?

Meantime I'll check out the things you mention.

Steve

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 11, 2007 4:48 pm

If looking try local 'parish mag' / local trade directory, but best way is ask around amongst locals.
A member of trade association should be good guide as all have to provide refs. insurence, quals. etc. Ie ECA, NAPIT, niceic, regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 am