DPC underlay on wooden suspended floor causing damp?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thenorthernrob
Labourer
Labourer

DPC underlay on wooden suspended floor causing damp?

Post by thenorthernrob » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:01 am

Hi, I have just bought a victorian terrace (1880 ish), with solid stone block construction. The front room has a wooden suspended floor and the rear has solid concrete. Throughout there is laminate floor underlay with a built-in DPC.

In one corner there is a very specific damp patch, where a 'damp meter' gives very high readings inside the damp patch and very low reading immediately outside the patch. The floor slightly slopes towards this patch.

My question is, is it possible that the DPC on the wooden suspended floor could be trapping moist air and the condensation is running down to the corner causing damp to appear on the wall? A damp proofer has said I need to rip up all floors and pour concrete with a DPM and then inject the solid walls with DPC.

Any suggestions or experience wold be great.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DPC underlay on wooden suspended floor causing damp?

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:41 am

you don't need the dpc underlay on the wooden floor. that could cause problems,So long is there is adequate airflow through the suspended floor and no sign of rot then its ok.
The concrete floor can be painted with a damp proof paint to prevent damp

thenorthernrob
Labourer
Labourer

Post by thenorthernrob » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Cheers Welsh Brickie. We are taking up the flooring to check the boards, but from underneath they look fine, in torch light anyways.

I've done a load more research and found that many Victorian houses don't need chemical DPC either and they can actually cause further damage in the long run. Apparently they are best left to breathe or ventilate. Any advice on that?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes its true, but it depends on the circumstance, if it looks dry after you have let it air for a while then it should be fine

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:42 am