drain heating down i have a combi

Postby geoffy1 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:18 pm

hi i need to drain the central heating down to move one of my radiators in the bedroom,i have a combi boiler in the kitchen,there are various pipes coming down on the underside of the boiler with various markings on them,which of these do i turn off and also if i were to just simply turn off the mains will i then be able to drain down the heating system
geoffy1
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby DEEARR2 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:47 pm

The water supply to your heating circuit on your Combi is fed by the water fill/top up device on your boiler which you should be aware of. By leaving the fill loop closed you can drain the system safely.
DEEARR2
Progress to next rank:
73.3%

Postby geoffy1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 am

thanks not sure which pipes you mean.at the bottem of the boiler there a some pipes going into it some of these have some symbles on them a couple have like a tap symble is it these.if i cant work out whats what can i just shut off the main stop cock.thanks
geoffy1
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby DEEARR2 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Shut the stop cock is the easy answer Geoffy, Good Luck. DR
DEEARR2
Progress to next rank:
73.3%

Postby bd3cc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:06 pm

I too have a combi.
Shut off all rads at both ends, and drain the selected rad and reconnect as planned.
You should find a filling loop under your boiler,where you top up the system if the pressure falls, this consists of 2 taps, on is usually open and one closed, and a flexible hose.
Open the bleed valve on the rad furthest from the boiler and open the filler loop on the boiler, and watch the pressure needle on the boiler.
When water leaks from the rad, shut both the loop and rad bleed valve.
Repeat for each rad, working from furthes to nearest.
Pressure indicator should read just under 1bar when you have finished.
bd3cc
Progress to next rank:
41%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!