Drain valve not working
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
drzaza
Labourer
Labourer

Drain valve not working

by drzaza » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to drain my central heating system. There is only one drain valve in the house. No water comes out when I turn the tap to On.

I've partially turned the nut that connects the drain to the main pipe and there appear quite a few drips, so there's water waiting to come out.

I've twizzed the drain position so I can look up the drain with a head torch. When I open the tap, there appears to be a bit stuck that doesn't turn. I've tried WD40 to loosen it, but to no avail.

I'm stuck. I can't fit a new drain valve anywhere unless I drain the system first (unless I want a flood, of course).

Any advice on fixing the drain valve?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Insert a screwdriver but have dish, towels and hose ready. If the drain point has very rarely been used there could just be debri stopping the water from coming out - but it's probably abit of the rubber washer that makes the water tight seal that has came off and is blocking the drain off.

Insert a screwdriver to dislodge the blockage, attach hose and drain the system. You will have to replace the rubber washer before refilling the system.

htg

redmist
Labourer
Labourer

by redmist » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:16 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Insert a screwdriver but have dish, towels and hose ready. If the drain point has very rarely been used there could just be debri stopping the water from coming out - but it's probably abit of the rubber washer that makes the water tight seal that has came off and is blocking the drain off.

Insert a screwdriver to dislodge the blockage, attach hose and drain the system. You will have to replace the rubber washer before refilling the system.

htg[/quote]

OR attach hose onto drain & flush backwards.. just a quick on & off should do the trick.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1