Draining and re-filling cent heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andynclaire
Labourer
Labourer

Draining and re-filling cent heating system

by Andynclaire » Fri May 02, 2008 8:26 pm

I recently called out BG to repair my Worcester combi boiler, they sorted it and advised me to have a system flush at a cost of nearly £700!! I found some flushing stuff at Wicks for 20 odd and as i needed to fit a new radiator decided to do it myself, after draining my system and re-filling it it wont ignite! the pump is running and i have bled the system but to no avail! And its now leaking outside!! What must i do? Dont want to have to call out BG again! But all i have done is drained the water out and re-filled!! Help PLEASE!!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat May 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Vent pump and open automatic airvent.

If it's leaking outside, what is the pressure set to ? should be between 1.0 and 1.5 bar.

If that is where the pressure is set to, strip out and clean the pressure relief valve, if that doesn't work, the pressure relief valve needs replacing.

Did you drain the system via the pressure relief valve ? not the best way as they do leak sometimes - always drain from a drain point on the pipework or from a radiator.

Andynclaire
Labourer
Labourer

by Andynclaire » Sun May 04, 2008 11:50 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Vent pump and open automatic airvent.

If it's leaking outside, what is the pressure set to ? should be between 1.0 and 1.5 bar.

If that is where the pressure is set to, strip out and clean the pressure relief valve, if that doesn't work, the pressure relief valve needs replacing.

Did you drain the system via the pressure relief valve ? not the best way as they do leak sometimes - always drain from a drain point on the pipework or from a radiator.[/quote]

Thanks very much for the advice, turned out to be a duff PRV as you had suggested.
Replaced and filled and bled, no probs now. Thanks again!!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1