Draining heating system
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GR8GUY
Labourer
Labourer

Draining heating system

by GR8GUY » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi all, This is probably an easy question but Im puzzled and need some advice.
The pics are of my upstairs radiator pipe which has started to leak into my dining room. The plumber who fitted this intended to take a feed from this and run it into extension. He changed his mind and took a feed from another room instead but left this little mess for me.
It is now leaking from bottom part of the main tee connected to radiator.
I intended to drain my system and replace with just a straight tee and new bottom olive and nut onto a new piece of 8mm pipe. I opened the outside drain cock and the radiator air vents.The system was draining fine but after about 20 mins the water coming out was hot. Why can this be as the heating has been turned off for a week or so ? Ive stopped mid job as I cant work out whats going on. I think this is a an indirect system as the loft has a large tank and smaller one on top for radiator filling. Can you help ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:34 pm

I don't believe a plumber has done that work, basically take the tee out completely as teeing into 10mm and increasing to 15mm to feed another radiator will never work.

You need to take the flow and return to the extension directly from the manifolds or 22mm flow and return.

Turn off cold water, drain system. Take tee out and re-connect existing radiator.

If you're getting hot water it's possible the tank coil is damaged- you'll be draining the domestic hot water tank.

I'd ask for a refund, because he's not a plumber.

htg

GR8GUY
Labourer
Labourer

by GR8GUY » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks htg ! Yes I totally agree the guy certainly turned out to be a cowboy. I hadnt realised he left it like that as it was behind a bed.
I replaced the tee with a straight connector this evening and refilled the system. The heating all works fine now with no leaks. I'll not to be so trusting next time :x

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Draining heating system

by plumbbob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 pm

GR8GUY wrote:The system was draining fine but after about 20 mins the water coming out was hot. Why can this be as the heating has been turned off for a week or so ?

I assume you have turned the boiler off so it is not heating the hot water??
The coil in the cylinder will contain a small amount of hot water so you might find a small quantity of hot water during the draindown.

After the drain has been running for 10 mins or so, check the header tanks in the loft. Take particular note of the larger one. If it is filling up, you may have a faulty cylinder coil.

GR8GUY
Labourer
Labourer

by GR8GUY » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Plumbob,
Yes I think thats exactly what was happening.The heating was turned off but the hot water was still on and i was just getting some heated water as last of it was being drained. Every day is a school day!

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:18 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:48 pm