Drawbridge
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Trioxide
Labourer
Labourer

Drawbridge

by Trioxide » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Created a castle for my little girl and trying to figure out how to do the drawbridge with counterbalance so I don't have to worry about it falling on here. The door is 4' wide x 6' high and 4 1.2" thick so it is heavy. Want to run cable from the end of the door to the castle and put counterbalances on it to make closing and opening the door easier. Problem is the interior wall is only 6' high and the length from the top of the wall to the door when it is open is 9'. How do I go about creating something that will work? The door opens slightly more then 90 degrees as at a slight angle down to the ground so you can walk into the castle. The hinge is at the base of the door and the floor.

I know how counterbalances work but I need more then 9' of length for the weight to move the 9' of length the door is moving. So that does not work as I only have 6' unless I do from the outside where it is visible and then only 8 1/2' so still not enough.

Any suggestions? Or if someone has a better idea.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Trioxide,
Buy a pair of gas struts and fit them.
end

Trioxide
Labourer
Labourer

Gas struts

by Trioxide » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

How do I figure out what I need and how to position? Have looked at them but most are not very long in extension length. I also don't know how to figure out where to place on the door so it is in the right place for being open and closed. How do I figure that out?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Trioxide,
Suggest you make a sketch, weigh the door and contact some manufacturers. The struts will have to fit on the outside of the door.
end

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:01 am

Have a look on ebay for some cheap pulleys, with some playing around you can reduce the length you have to pull the rope & also reduce the amount of weight needed to operate.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:10 pm