Drill keeps unscrewing itself
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bearcub
Labourer
Labourer

Drill keeps unscrewing itself

Post by Bearcub » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:36 pm

When drilling a hole in wall to put up shelves I have encountered the same problem twice with two different drills: the drill assembly which holds the drill-bit unscrews itself from the main body of the drill whilst I am drilling leaving the drill-bit and assembly sticking into the wall while the main part of the drill, still in my hands, comes away completely. There's a long screw inside which holds the two parts of the drill together which seems to have worked itself loose but even when I try to screw it back together I get the same problem.

I chucked away the first drill as it was old and cheap and borrowed a new one from a friend, but I've got the same problem! Am I doing something wrong or is this a common problem with cheap drills?

Thanks.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 pm

is the drill bit seizing up in the wall?

sounds like a problem with the drill, i'm guessing that the drill bit is locking up as the motor doesn't have the power to drill into solid walls. the torque is then effectively transferred to the opposite direction and twisting the chuck loose.

what make of drill is it? how much did it cost? if it's a cheapie then it's almost certainly down to the quality of the tool. as with everything you get what you pay for.

use a good quality battery drill or better, if the budget stretches to it, an sds plus. the more powerful the better! MORE POWER RRRRRRRRHH!

Bearcub
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Bearcub » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks for your advice. Its a cheap drill I borrowed from a friend and I was drilling into a solid wall between my flat and the neighbours'.

Guess I'll just have to put my hand in my pocket and fork out for a decent drill...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:22 pm