Drilling into concrete ceiling
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
winterbehaviour
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drilling into concrete ceiling

by winterbehaviour » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi I posted a problem yesterday about not being able to drill into the ceiling to put up some spotlights because Id thought I may have hit metal but when I had a proper look at it today I've actually hit concrete after I've gone through the layer of plaster I went and bought a new better masonary drill bit, as the other had gone blunt and I had another go today but I still cant get through much to my annoyance.
I read through the diy projects on this site about drilling into concrete and it says you need at least a 500w hammer drill. Mine is 710w I dont understand why it wont do it. I suspect the hammer action isnt working though, its a brand new black and decker drill/driver with hammer action but when I set it on the hammer mode I cant actually see it "hammering" so to speak but as I've never used this type of drill before I didnt know what it was supposed to look like so sorry if thats a silly thing to say. I'm new to diy. The people in the diy shop where I got the bit said I can borrow their drill if it doesnt work.
Any ideas? is my drill working properly?
Thanks

Accipitus
Labourer
Labourer

by Accipitus » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi Winterbehaviour,

It's not the drill bits, it's the type of hammer drill.

For hard materials such as concrete, you need a rotary hammer drill, this is not the same as an ordinary hammer, it uses a different hammer action.

Prices normally start at around £80 from outlets such as B&Q, so you might consider hiring one. Try the too store on this sitel

Do not get an SDS drill thinking that this will do, SDS only refers to the chuck system (it is the only non-slip chuck on the market), you may end up knocking a great chunk of whatever you are drilling out.

Hope this helps,

Accipitus

NimbusII
Tradesman
Tradesman

by NimbusII » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:51 am

A concrete drill bit is what you need, not a masonry drill bit.. There is a difference.. The hammer action on your drill is not really visibly noticeable but when you apply pressure it will vibrate violently, this is the hammer working... Don be tempted to use all your strength to drill, firm pressure and every now and then release pressure so hole has chance to clear of dust....I usually use an old 600 watt hammer drill with concrete drill bit and had no problems....I have an SDS drill but only use it for 10mm upwards...

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:41 am

Wow. Can you explain the difference between a masonry bit and a concrete bit please.

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

by toptips » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 pm

hiya,if your not paying around £3 for your masonary drills,yes thats each,then you will have problems drilling through butter.if there is no difference with the sound or vibration of your drill when it is on or off hammer then the hammer action is not working.hope this helps.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 pm