Drilling Straight Hole for Cylindrical Latch in an Internal Door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
barhug
Labourer
Labourer

Drilling Straight Hole for Cylindrical Latch in an Internal Door

by barhug » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi All

When drilling the hole for a cylindrical latch in an internal door how do I make sure I drill exactly at 90 deg and also straight into the door not going to left or right? Is there a better way than just by sight? I did one once a long time a go that went wonky and now I have 5 new doors to hang!

Thanks
Barry

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Drilling Straight Hole for Cylindrical Latch in an Internal Door

by proptech » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi barhug

Depends how much you want to pay. There is an ideal tool for the job. The Souber DBB Mortice Lock Jig. Lovely bit of kit, but at £120 plus the cutter for the latch at about another £10... Rather a lot for 5 doors.
The best I can suggest is to clamp a couple of batons to the door as guides, just position them to enable you to eye them up with the drill.

Mad110
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mad110 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Wolfcraft do a drill guide for a DIY power drill with a standard size collar,
Screwfix.com, it's not suitable for most cordless drills.
Personally, I think a sharp flat (spade) bit and a couple of pencil lines on the faces and edge of the door to sight down, masking tape for a depth stop and a bit of practice in a bit of timber.
Also, make sure the door is well secured so you can concentrate on the drilling, not keeping the door steady with one hand and drilling with the other.

barhug
Labourer
Labourer

by barhug » Fri May 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi I am only just starting to get ready for the job now!! Thanks for your suggestions. I might use an augur bit and brace as I used a spade bit and power drill last time and the drill speed is difficult to control just with the trigger. I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Barhug

barhug
Labourer
Labourer

by barhug » Sat May 23, 2015 11:00 am

Now completed with good results, I think! Thanks to mad110, clamped baton for keeping level but had to keep stopping and going down to keep level. As for keeping straight and not going left/right it was easy as I used the hand brace and looked down keeping the shaft of the drill bit in sight in the middle of the door edge which would not have been possible with power drill. Forums, a good idea!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:10 am