Dripping Overflow Pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bruceyboy
Labourer
Labourer

Dripping Overflow Pipe

Post by bruceyboy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:46 am

I hope someone can help. My knowledge of central heating systems is limited so please bear with me.

I have a boiler in the bathroom with a hot water tank and then have two tanks (one big and one small) in the loft. We haven't been in the House that long but the system cannot be more than four years old as I know the previous owner (a plumber) completely overhauled it.

The overflow from the tanks seems to leak constantly. It isn't just a small drip but a constant trickle. I'm not sure whether the source of the water is from the small or large tank but the trickle stops when I run the hot water for a couple of minutes only to return a few hours later.

Any idea as to what this might be and how i might solve it? Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

cueball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cueball » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:50 pm

try adjusting the ball valve in the larger of the cisterns in the loft so that it cuts off the supply at a lower level in the cistern. If this dont work then ball valve diaphragm may need replacing.

pbu.bunney
Labourer
Labourer

Post by pbu.bunney » Tue May 22, 2007 7:11 pm

I have exactly the same problem.

The trickle is coming from the smaller tank. The 'extra' water is not coming from the ball valve but from the bottom of the tank (I can see the sediment being disturbed) which in turn comes from the boiler water pipe just outside the hot water tank. I also know this because the water is warm.

Please help! The constant trickle is getting the neighbours up three times a night.

robbie16
Labourer
Labourer

Post by robbie16 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:08 am

Hi guys your problem with dripping overflow, I have had it for months, replaced the ball valve etc and still leaked. I had someone round to look and the diagnosis was a leak in the hot water cylinder (indirect system) which was causing back flow into the header tank.

I have replaced my hot water cylinder and hey presto no more drips....obviously try the ball valve first but if it continues it could be the same as mine

Good luck Rob

g6bjy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by g6bjy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:00 pm

Hi Guys, just to say I've just had exactly the same problem.
After messing about with the ball valve ect. bit the bullet and
had the hot water cylinder replaced and no more drip.
Cut the top off the old cylinder out of interest and it was a
third full of limescale. Quite a mess. anyway all now seems well.
Not cheap mind.

levi12345
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Dripping Overflow Pipe outbuilding

Post by levi12345 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:43 pm

hi i need some advice please , my nan has a pipe coming out of the outhouse building thats been dripping for a number of years now and i need to stop it as the its starting to waterlog the garden , theres a toilet in there and iv turned the stop tap next to it and it doesnt stop it , can somebody please give me some advice , thanks

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm