Drop down and return feed to radiator - will it work?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fordangliagnome
Labourer
Labourer

Drop down and return feed to radiator - will it work?

by fordangliagnome » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm thinking of putting a small radiator in my scullery which is the ground floor.
The only possible way to get the feed and return pipes to the radiator would be to drop down through the ceiling from the 1st floor heating circuit and return back through the ceiling

My gas boiler is on the ground floor, the system is a pumped, with 3-way motorised valve, open vent with header tank in the loft above the first floor and hot water tank on 1st floor.

My (simple?) query is: will the hot water get pumped down and return back to the circuit, or will I end up with a cold radiator and thus have wasted a load of time and effort?

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Drop down and return feed to radiator - will it work?

by Atticus Finch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Have you checked that the boiler produces enough heat for all radiators, including the new one?

If you have, it will work, but you will have to rebalance the system to make sure the new radiator gets its fair share of the heat.

fordangliagnome
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Drop down and return feed to radiator - will it work?

by fordangliagnome » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I've checked and the boiler will produces= enough heat, the scullery is only 4 ft by 10ft with a low ceiling. so I'm only going to put a small radiator in there. I'll put a drain point at the bottom of the dropped circuit and rebalance the existing rads as required.

Thanks v.much for the speedy post, I'll now be doing the work in the next day or so.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1