Dry Lining Failing and Rusting Screw Heads - Rising Damp?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
techno12
Labourer
Labourer

Dry Lining Failing and Rusting Screw Heads - Rising Damp?

by techno12 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi.

I've been in my flat for 8 years now. It's part of a Victorian building, and is semi-basement (2 sides are about 3 feet below ground level, though there's a wide drainage channel outside).

Anyway, in the past year or so a lot of the dry lining fixings have started to rust up, mainly towards one side of the building.

I guess something might have failed for it to suddenly start happening after 7 years.

The guttering has failed on the external wall closest to the worst-affected parts several times

which I assume has led to the moss growth. It's probably only a few weeks of broken guttering in total but maybe the excess water during this cumulative time has led to the problems? Or perhaps it's a broken drain or something.

I must add that the flat has always smelt a bit musty, suffers from condensation on windows (walls are bone dry) and I've always had to run a dehumidifier. The windows all have vent-o-matic fans so it's odd that they should suffer from condensation - possibly a symptom of penetrating/rising damp?

was told 8 years ago by a surveyor that it was condensation, but odd that it's got worse over the years, and the rusting is rising. If it was condensation then surely all parts would be affected?

Externally, the brickwork seems to need some fixing, as there are huge cracks below the DPC

Any thoughts?
I'm trying to get a list together to bring to the freeholder as the building is due major (expensive) repairs soon and I'd like my issues to be addressed - currently none are ;)

Cheers!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dry Lining Failing and Rusting Screw Heads - Rising Damp?

by welsh brickie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 am

In my opinion, the damp proofing has failed the plaster needs removing and the room needs tanking ( damp proofing). Externally a linear drainage channel needs fitting against the wall to remove any excess water away from the property

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:05 pm