Hi, i moved into my Victorian terraced house last year and i want to re-instate the coal fire in the lounge...currently there is an electric fire in the opening and i believe it's been 20 years since a fire was lit! A friend tried to put brushes up it to check for birds nests first of all and yes it has one stuck bout 10 feet up! I asked a chimney sweeper to try to get it out but he won't touch it. Somebody also said that i may need the chimney lined to prevent a chimney fire!! I have already removed the rubble previously used to block up the opening. Maybe i can do some of the work myself or at least if somebody has any advice i will be armed with some knowledge before i tackle this project!
Thanks for listening :-)