EARTH A LIGHT
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shugie
Labourer
Labourer

EARTH A LIGHT

by shugie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:59 pm

I HAVE A CEILING LIGHT I HAVE TO PUT UP BUT IT NEEDS EARTHED BUT THERES ONLY 2 WIRES ATTACTED TO MY LAST LIGHT HOW DO YOU EARTH IT CANT CUT ANY TO FIND EARTH

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:38 pm

What colour are the wires attached to your last light? Is your last light a pendant fitting with a shade? If so they are probably just a blue and brown one. If you unscrew the ceiling rose and look inside you will see other wires which should include the earth.

I suspect that you have to remove the ceiling rose altogether to install your new fitting. Be very careful to switch off the power and take note of what wires go where before you remove the rose to install the new fitting.

Have a look in the projects section as well where you will find lighting wiring diagrams.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:01 pm

shugie,
It's common to find no Earth (CPC) in circuit on installations that are over 40 years old, because one they didn't fit them and two sometimes used metal conduit to serve as earth.
So might not be an earth(CPC) installed so would need to install one (re-wire) needed, you should only be using plastic or double insulated accessories on these circuits.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm

if your really lucky someone has cut the earth off. see if you can pull some spare cable down from the roof space, ifyou can cut back the outer insulation to see if there is an earth in there.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:12 am