Earth Bonding and BS 7671
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Redpoll
Labourer
Labourer

Earth Bonding and BS 7671

Post by Redpoll » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:42 am

Hi,

I am having a single glazed lean to conservatory replaced with a new double glazed one. As part of this work I am proposing to have two electric sockets in the existing conservatory relocated.

I have had a contractor in who says he cannot (legally) do this work (a simple move of a foot or two) without replacing the main earth bonding between the meter and the consumer unit as the earth bonding does not meet with current regulations (i.e. BS 7671)

The current earth bonding is not defective in any way, it is just not compliant with the new standards.

The house was built in 1980, and meets all the standards in place at that time.

Is the contractor right? do I have to fork out £200 extra to have new "Uprated" earth bonding before any work can be "leagally" undertaken"

baldelectrician
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by baldelectrician » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 pm

He is partly right (in my opinion)
He is required to check that the bonding is in place and may suggest you get it upgraded.

The regs state that you should check the adequacy of the existing install BEFORE you attempt any alteration or upgrade.
If there is bonding (it may be in 6mm cable) then it will be deemed as 'adequate'

In an install that age I would be more concerned that the socket circuit didn't have RCD protection, as there will be an older consumer unit in a property with that age of wiring.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi, I totally concur with 'baldelectrician', your leckie is right to check first but, except for consumer unit changes, he need only write on his minor works cert. a comment in the 'box' provided under 'Comments on existing Installation'
Consumer unit changes must not be done unless earthing/bonding is brought up to date, maybe he is slightly confused?

Redpoll
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Redpoll » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback, which confirms my own research on the issue.

The consumer unit is fairly modern, so the sockets do have RCD protection, in fact it is so sensitive that it often trips if a table lamp bulb blows!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:53 pm