Earth bonding
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Earth bonding

by greengrass » Mon May 07, 2007 1:05 pm

Re kitchen pre-fit.

My kitchen sink taps have an earth loop on its own from one pipe to t'other with no earth lead link. I always thought that earth bonding had to be continuous in the the feed from the fuse board and had to be run from one earth clamp to the next without a break and all plastic fitting bridged,and of course ending at the last strap connection. The gas feed on the property side pipe also has an earth connected [said by British gas to be 6mm] but I have got to determine where that ends up.

Am I correct in assuming the earth is somewhere in the bungalow on the cold feed and the loop on the kitchen hot and cold forms the continued protection.
The earthing etc was already in place when we moved in. The water feed in is plastic with no visible signs of a bonding earth strap on the copper pipe [Internal] side of the mains feed. All I will say is if it's wrong then the electrician, if he was, was a bum or the ones who fitted the kitchen for the previous owners where cowboys 'job all' with no experience or concept of danger hence the introduction of Part P installation.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi, you are partly correct, regs are that a main bonding cable of 10mm min must go from consumer unit earth bar or local earth block to both gas main (within 300mm of fixed pipe or if external meter 300mm from entry point to house b4 any branch or tee).
Water main likewise, 10mm back to con.unit, it is permitted to loop from water to gas mains if unbroken @ clamps, ie just stripped and looped uncut at first clamp.
if plastic pipe in use you must have a piece of copper pipe after stopcock to earth the water, which is conductive.
It is not reqd to run from 'cross bonding' between hot/cold/sink & main bonding as if water main bond in place then continuity should be continuous anyway.
Yup we moaned a bit about part p but any sparky worth the name was already complying, issueing test sheets, had correct meters etc so no problem other than cost to register with one of the approved bodies.
regards SPARX

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Mon May 07, 2007 5:25 pm

[quote="sparx"]Hi, you are partly correct, regs are that a main bonding cable of 10mm min must go from consumer unit earth bar or local earth block to both gas main (within 300mm of fixed pipe or if external meter 300mm from entry point to house b4 any branch or tee).
Water main likewise, 10mm back to con.unit, it is permitted to loop from water to gas mains if unbroken @ clamps, ie just stripped and looped uncut at first clamp.
if plastic pipe in use you must have a piece of copper pipe after stopcock to earth the water, which is conductive.
It is not reqd to run from 'cross bonding' between hot/cold/sink & main bonding as if water main bond in place then continuity should be continuous anyway.
Yup we moaned a bit about part p but any sparky worth the name was already complying, issueing test sheets, had correct meters etc so no problem other than cost to register with one of the approved bodies.
regards SPARX[/quote]

Many Thanks SPARX I will now have to search the bungalow water pipework to see where the earth bonding starts. If none found, including a link from the gas pipe bonding then the previous owners were conned in to thinking the water pipes were protected. We'll see, life is hard aint it.
Greengrass.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 pm

sure is & of course you paid for a survey!
HIP's gonna put all this right hey!

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Mon May 07, 2007 9:11 pm

[quote="sparx"]sure is & of course you paid for a survey!
HIP's gonna put all this right hey![/quote]

Trouble is SPARX how do you know the reports are not false?
It's been done with Gorgi gas registration where gas fitters have claimed to be Corig registered and are not. Many elderly have been caught out by not checking first. Trouble is the law doesn't deal with them in the proper manner to deter others. Even some legal beagles have been caught on mis-representation.
No reply necessary just getting it off me chest. Regards greengrass.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:12 pm