Earth bonding to water and gas
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BJane
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BJane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:44 am

I'm not a DIYer just have difficulty knowing what to do when different electricians say different things so hope you can help. My property needs to be earthed and one electrians said that he could connect the earth to the combi boiler and to the outside from there. Another said that wasn't right and the earthing has to go to the front of the property (where the gas meter is) which means taking it through the kitchen and across the living room to the outside. The second was more convincing but he said that the cables would be visible but covered. What do you think?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi , main earth bonding must go from your consumer unit to water main stop cock on house side within 300mm of it, the gas also has to go to the gas meter from consumer unit to house side of meter.
If meter is indoors then you must connect to fixed not flexy pipe within 300mm, before any branch or tee, If meter in out door box you may connect inside within 300mm of point of entry.
The only variation is if the route to one service goes near the other one it is permitted to loop your bonding wire from the Con. unit to first one then the other but the wire has to be continuous un broken ie a section of insulation removed at first earth clamp, wrapped around screw and carries on to end at other service.
Hope this makes sense,
N.B. cable must be 10mm2
Regards SPARX

BJane
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BJane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks - but, sorry, I don't really understand much of this. The gas meter is on the outside of the property at the front and the boiler is upstairs at the back of the house. Should the gas connection go to the meter rather than to the boiler? The stop cock is near the back of the house and the new fuse board will be at the back of the house. I think you mean that as the gas meter is where the gas comes into the house then this is where the earth bonding should go as the second electrician said. Yes?
Thanks.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Forget the boiler.....
earth from consumer unit to stop cock then loop on to gas meter either in box or just inside house where gas pipe first enters, sounds like 2nd leckie was on the ball & 1st was a load of b*lls...
Best Wishes SPARX

BJane
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BJane » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:20 am

Thank you!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm