Earth connection on electric sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
becksie
Labourer
Labourer

Earth connection on electric sockets

by becksie » Tue May 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Dear everyone,

Apologies if it’s not appropriate to post this here (as it’s not a DIY question as such... but maybe it will become a DIY project for me), but it seems like a forum where someone will know the answer.

I’ve recently moved to a country where virtually no electric sockets have a earth connection. :shock:

Firstly, which electrical items should I be most concerned about plugging in to non-earthed sockets? I know (I think) that items with an entirely plastic outer case should be okay. But would a kettle or iron, for example, be any more dangerous without an earth than some other items?

Secondly, would using an RCD adaptor with an non-earthed socked provide any additional level of protection or does the earth being missing totally negate whatever the RCD adaptor does anyway? Sorry for displaying a complete lack of electrical knowledge! :oops:

Any help gratefully received. Just hoping to extend my life expectancy a few years. :)

Thanks,

Simon

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Wed May 20, 2009 10:08 am

What country have you moved to? Will help to answer your question

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 am

if you look at the back of your appliances on the data card there may be a square within a square symbol. that means it's a type 2 appliance and can be used without an earth, otherwise it's a type 1 and must have an earth. some of the continental wiring is scary, I just came back from my mates in france where his outbuildings were fed by a non eartherd cable, so none of his machinery was earthed. found out when he cut the cable with his lawnmower!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:32 pm