earth connection
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gar
Labourer
Labourer

earth connection

by gar » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Could someone please tell me what the correct configaration for the earth leads on a ring main using a metal double socket.

The double socket has two earth connections on the rear plus one connection on the metal box.

On the projects/ringmain page the wiring is shown though not on a metal socket and this is a bit confusing.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Look close both earth terminals are linked together by metal anyway , for normal use just use most convenient one for both supply earths.

you should also provide an earth link to back box if metal from the socket, this can go in other earth term if not enough room for three cables in it.

The two earth sockets as far as I know are used for computer circuits where the in and out earths are seperate.
Unless yours is a specific case , the normal way would be ok

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:50 am

We have can of worms here. First the double connections on the socket are required with some IT equipment. I always earth back box but I know many do not. The regulations 607-01 covers high earth leakage the the sockets are designed to comply with that, but in a normal house you don't need this so just connect like any normal socket. I only mention it in case you are not using them in the home.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:03 pm