earth leak


Postby terry38102 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:19 pm

a freind of mine has a earth leak somewhere in his house the lights are ok it is all the sockets kitchen, upstairs and down i have opened them all up to check wiring everything seems fine i have unplugged all appliences and checked. it is across the neutral and earth i suspect a damaged cable somewhere do you know if anythin else could cause it or a way to test cables without pulling floor boards if possible thanks
terry38102
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Gloucester Sparky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi Terry, :idea:

I appreciate that you want to do a good deed for your friend and save them some money at the same time ‘but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.’
There are plenty of people on here who could tell you a multitude of ways to test your circuits without buying expensive equipment and I bet I could rig you something up just by using a few items from your top draw (and I don’t even know what’s in there).

But the point is this, there’s a good chance that your friend has had a mouse nibbling at his cables and on this occasion the mouse has caused a short to earth.

How do you know that other circuits haven’t been attacked on a part of a circuit where the earthing isn’t so good and there’s a fire just waiting to start.

Although the work that you do is spot on, people will always remember that you were the last person to work on the electrics.

On this occasion Terry I am sure that the DIY route is not the best

Gloucester Sparky
Gloucester Sparky
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 pm


Postby terry38102 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:06 pm

thamks for your help we took some floor boards up yesterday and found a few more problems there is a live socket between the ceiling and the floor the previos owner put there and a few other junctions a sparky was out to day and he said it would probobaly be easier and cheaper to rewire the sockets. it has been like that for at least 3 years when he moved in do you think it will be ok for a year till he gets some money together.
terry38102
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 pm


Postby Gloucester Sparky » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi Terry,

Only the sparky who inspected your installation could answer that but I am glad you called one in.
Gloucester Sparky
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 pm


Postby thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:24 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm
thedoctor
Site Admin
Posts: 2103
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


 


  • Related Topics