Earth on Garage electrics.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeff C
Apprentice
Apprentice

Earth on Garage electrics.

by Jeff C » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:50 pm

I asked a question on the power supply to my garage from my house CU, this question was answered, BUT there was some concern regarding the earth that was from the armoured cable, and it may not be adequate, in the garage
Is it possible to install a new earth in the garage by means of an earth rod,
so I would have a positive & negative from the house, via the armoured cable, and a new earth, or could I use both a new one (earth rod) and the existing one (on armoured cable)- the garage is about 20 yards from the house
Thanks jeff

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:11 pm

A TT supply is most likely not as good as the supply you have now. (TT means using an earth rod) putting in earth rods as well as the TN-S supply could cause problems and I would want to see the job before recommending any such system. Welding sets can be a big problem with a garage and if I remember right you had 4 core cable with a spare copper core so that would be a lot better. And who would test the earth? Either an earth loop impedance tester or a special earth rod tester will be required and I can't see you having one which means you need to call someone in to do the job. So better asking the guy on site what he recommends.

Jeff C
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jeff C » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi ericmark, many thanks for your kind advice I will do that
Cheers
jeff

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:36 pm