Earthing metal splashbacks
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spook
Labourer
Labourer

Earthing metal splashbacks

by Spook » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:24 am

I’m about to install brushed aluminium splashbacks in my kitchen which, the big stickers on the face tell me, need earth bonding.

This being the case is it possible the earthed metal faceplates of the sockets that will fit flush against the face of the splashbacks create the required bond or should I run in a separate earth? (Incidentally, the splashbacks will run the full length of the worktops – none of the socket outlets are too close to sink or hob).

Given that the splashbacks are relatively near to the consumer unit I could connect direct to the earth block – given the choice is this a better option than running an earth to a socket or does it make no odds?

A second question.

Currently the knockouts housing the socket outlets are all 25mm. I was going to replace these with 35’s and dig around a bit so that the front edge of the box will be flush with the face of the splashback (8mm thickness). Am I making a rod for my own back? Is it acceptable to keep the 25mm boxes and have a gap between the back of the sockets and the front edge of the knockout, sealed by the edge of the cut-out in the splashback?

Cheers.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Earthing metal splashbacks

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:23 pm

[quote="Spook"]I’m about to install brushed aluminium splashbacks in my kitchen which, the big stickers on the face tell me, need earth bonding.

This being the case is it possible the earthed metal faceplates of the sockets that will fit flush against the face of the splashbacks create the required bond or should I run in a separate earth? (Incidentally, the splashbacks will run the full length of the worktops – none of the socket outlets are too close to sink or hob).

Given that the splashbacks are relatively near to the consumer unit I could connect direct to the earth block – given the choice is this a better option than running an earth to a socket or does it make no odds?

A second question.

Currently the knockouts housing the socket outlets are all 25mm. I was going to replace these with 35’s and dig around a bit so that the front edge of the box will be flush with the face of the splashback (8mm thickness). Am I making a rod for my own back? Is it acceptable to keep the 25mm boxes and have a gap between the back of the sockets and the front edge of the knockout, sealed by the edge of the cut-out in the splashback?

Cheers.[/quote]

Spook
if u can run a 10 mm2 earth back to the mains board , then this would act as a supplementary bonding conductor.
connect to main earthing terminal.
you would be lowering earth loop readings in order to achieve dissconnection of protective device. a good earth would also ensure operation of rcd s , bearing in mind the shock risk from a large area of
metal work.

if u can channel away just enough of a gap so the boxes lie flush with the
the splash back then you have no gap.

BLAKEY1963

Spook
Labourer
Labourer

by Spook » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:05 pm

[quote="BLAKEY1963"]...if u can run a 10 mm2 earth back to the mains board , then this would act as a supplementary bonding conductor.
connect to main earthing terminal...[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in a flat and the meter, main earthing terminal etc are housed in a communal area a fair hike from me. It would therefore be more practical for me to connect to the earth block in my consumer unit or to run an earth to a socket - would either of these options be kosher and is one preferable to the other?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:35 pm

[quote="Spook"][quote="BLAKEY1963"]...if u can run a 10 mm2 earth back to the mains board , then this would act as a supplementary bonding conductor.
connect to main earthing terminal...[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in a flat and the meter, main earthing terminal etc are housed in a communal area a fair hike from me. It would therefore be more practical for me to connect to the earth block in my consumer unit or to run an earth to a socket - would either of these options be kosher and is one preferable to the other?[/quote]

spook
take a 10 mm2 back to the consumer unit earthing terminal.

BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am