Earthing?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeff C
Apprentice
Apprentice

Earthing?

by Jeff C » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:34 pm

Hello,
I have had a new splitload CU fitted and one of the circuits on an RCD side goes to my garage,- the fuse has not tripped- which is some 20metres from the house. this is fed by a armoured cable. it is earthed from where it leaves the CU unit by the armoured wires on the cable. it is alse earthed from where the supply enters the garage again by the armoured wires, from their it feeds the various sockets and lights. But if a socket tester is pluged in then the 'earth light' on the tester does not come on. The cable has been in situ for about 15 years, and is in good condition. It would be possible to install an earthing rod in the garage location, or should that not be done.
Thanks for any advice
Cheers
Jeff

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Earthing?

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:15 am

[quote="Jeff C"]Hello,
I have had a new splitload CU fitted and one of the circuits on an RCD side goes to my garage,- the fuse has not tripped- which is some 20metres from the house. this is fed by a armoured cable. it is earthed from where it leaves the CU unit by the armoured wires on the cable. it is alse earthed from where the supply enters the garage again by the armoured wires, from their it feeds the various sockets and lights. But if a socket tester is pluged in then the 'earth light' on the tester does not come on. The cable has been in situ for about 15 years, and is in good condition. It would be possible to install an earthing rod in the garage location, or should that not be done.
Thanks for any advice
Cheers
Jeff[/quote]
JEFF C
U NEED TO GET A REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN TO PERFORM
TESTS ON THE ARMOURED CABLE TO CHECK INTEGRITY
OF THE EARTHING.
BLAKEY1963

Stephen the sparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Stephen the sparks » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:44 pm

Best to install an earth rod as it is outside the equipotential zone. Fit a "garage" unit with its own RCD protection.

The integrity of the earth from the house is therefore not now relevant

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:19 am