Easy to fit a bath eh? So I thought but I need help....
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
need to learn......
Labourer
Labourer

Easy to fit a bath eh? So I thought but I need help....

by need to learn...... » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 pm

Evening,

I'm new to the forum and to be honest I have been staring at my bath for about half an hour scratching my sweaty brow and listening to my girlfriend ask when she can wash her hair (hmm about a month at this rate)!.

Problem is I am trying to fit a bath into a 'less than square' area and I am now stuck for a solution. I'm tying to keep costs down by replacing the suite myself (first time buyer and all).

The walls are all plasterboard and to get the bath in length ways I channelled out each end of the walls.

The problem is that the wall at the tap end is not square. I am left (even though I have channelled the wall) with the left corner of the bath (hot tap side) inside the wall and the other corner (past the cold tap) with a 10mm gap . Having channelled out both ends I cannot manoevre the bath anymore as the wall across the back of the bath (against the wall) is also out).

I am thinking my only option to get the bath in square is to channel out the wall along the length of the bath and sit the bath inside it. I can then tile onto the bath all the way round after sealing. Unfortunately this means that I wont be able to fix it to the wall though as there is a huge gap due to it being boarded out.

If anyone has any suggestions (even if it is to say i'm a muppet and doing it wrong) please let me know. as soon as you can...

Thanks,

A frustrated first time bathroom fitter!!!!

bothie
Labourer
Labourer

Easy to fit a bath eh? so I thought

by bothie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Yes saving money is good but things like fitting new baths are easy to do but very challenging even for the experienced plumber...talk about wiping sweat from your brow.. that happens all the time. Now your situation is complex because noone can see the set up of your bathroom which is the key to any advice that may be given. Basically you need to call someone out to help otherwise you will be stuck. Remember that if you mess it up then decide to call someone when its all jungly then you will pay even more.
thanks

Plumbing my way through.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:32 pm

whats going on the walls, tiles or plastic cladding ? without seeing the job its not easy to advise.

how far in the wall is the hot tap end, does it stop you getting the tap on or turning it on or off ?

If tiles or cladding are going on the walls can you not fit the bath and make it look square when the tiles and cladding are fitted ? in other words fit the cladding or tiles packing it out more at the cold tap end ?

it is awkward when you try to fit something that is square into a room that is not, and not alot can be done about it, without alot of work and more sweat.

the bath will be made with brackets that are meant to be screwed to the wall, its best to use these as any movement in the bath will affect the watertight seal between the tiles or cladding etc

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:25 pm