Postby TILTNTURN » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:28 pm

We are moving to a cottage that at present has economy 7 . Can someone tell me if this costs less for all the household appliances through the night or only for Storage heaters and water tank?

Are they on a separate circuit than the other electrics in the house ?
We had planned to go onto economy 10 to utilise afternoons for washing machines and driers to save money during the 1pm to 4pm economy period. Many thanks in advance . Lesley
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 am

The very old system had two meters but I think all modern systems use a single special meter to supply everything in the house. Because peak electricity costs more with economy 7 can’t see any board leaving duel meter system in. There is very little one can plan to run off peak, Washer/dryer, domestic hot water, and central heating. The old brick type radiators were a little useless as near impossible to turn off so retaining the heat for evening but the new wet system with a large cylinder which is well insulated so will store heat until required and also allows solar power to be added to system works well but finding a location to site the very large tank which is heavy can be a problem. And the system is not cheap. I had considered one using gas as it gives instant hot water at mains pressure great for showers but got old boiler running again and at over £2000 for the whole system I considered the money saved would me minimal considering £2000 invested at 5% gives £100 per year it would need to reduce my bill by 80% to pay for it’s self in 20 years. Oh the salesman give nice figures but missed out the money £2000 would generate if invested.
All best Eric

Postby Steve the gas » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:35 am

Firstly when economy E7 kicks in at night the whole house goes on E7 or should do. The same applies if a new digital meter is installed but no clocks (Teleswitches) etc. A pic would help?
Steve the gas
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!