ecoTEC Plus 624 and Smart Stats?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

sh4d0w
Apprentice
Apprentice

ecoTEC Plus 624 and Smart Stats?

by sh4d0w » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me out with some issues faced upon us at home.

We have an ecoTEC 624 with two zone's UP and DOWN plus an albion hot water store.

We have:
ecoTEC Plus 624 - stored in my extension loft
VR81 on the landing hard wired to;
VR61 in landing cupboard
VRC 470F downstairs

3 Honeywell zone valves all hard wired into my VR61.

For the past 2 years that i have the system in it has never really worked as designed in that the heating zones will not work independently, the upstairs has a mind of its own and we generally have to turn the stats right up to get any sort of heat upstairs OR have both zones on at the same time, if the latter is the case then upstairs will work, however this often brings with it some air locks where i have to lock of all other rads to push hot water to other rads etc.

With winter steadily approaching the good lady at home (and myself) is expressing concern over our heating system and we really want to get it A) Fixed or B) Changed.

One friend has Hive and speaks very highly of it, another friend has Nest and also speaks very highly of that, personally i prefer the nest of the two and as i understand it, if i want to go to a nest system ill need two nest stats' one up and one down to run each zone.

The question is... do i bother looking to change my controls or am i taking a backwards step?

Yes, i would like the SMART functions of the two aftermarket products but i don't really want to lose "optimum" functionality of my boiler, i vaguely understand that with the 470F i am getting complete weather comp and modulation etc. BUT with the SMART functions of the nest would this saving balance the overall running costs out?

I suppose i want someone who knows what they are talking about to just tell me what to do! haha.

Many thanks guys.
DSC_1316.JPG

DSC_1447.JPG

IMG_5650.JPG

LP/ZP = Cylinder Honeywell Zone Valve
HK1-P = Heating Zone 1 (Down S) Honeywell Zone Valve
HK2-P = Heating Zone 2 (Up S) Honeywell Zone Valve

It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:04 pm