ELCB-v What to do With EICR?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

ELCB-v What to do With EICR?

by ericmark » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:33 am

Up to now every one I have found the owner has agreed to a replacement. Great but what if they don't?

[quote]Regulation E.5 in 1966 14th requires that its effectiveness shall be tested in accordance with Item (3) of appendix 6. This says: For the purpose of this test a voltage not exceeding 45 volts, obtained from a double-wound transformer connected to the mains supply, shall be applied across the neutral and earth terminals (or neutral and frame terminals of a voltage-operated earth-leakage circuit-breaker) and the circuit breaker shall trip instantaneously. There is more text.

And..........of course, Regulation E.11 required a completion certificate to be issued, accompanied by an inspection certificate with test results.[/quote]

OK but how?, my meters will not test an ELCB-v, and to use the method above, the device would need disconnecting from supply, and it is normally the main isolator, so that would mean pulling the DNO fuse.

Up to now I have never had to cross the bridge, although I can test for parallel earths, and I can press big yellow button, after that point I am stumped. I am told there was a plug in tester in the 1960's but these have long since vanished.

Is it just a case of refusing to do the EICR?

It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:09 am