electical capping
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
noneed23
Labourer
Labourer

electical capping

by noneed23 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:56 am

just wondering does the law say that you have to put plastic capping over insulated cable in the walls,ceilings,floors? or are insulated cables for sockets,lights allowed to be just in the wall alone? not single cable. 3 cables insulated.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi Noneed23,
The requirments are that all circuits without mechanical protection, should be either buried 50mm within a wall surface (both sides of walls, so includes the other side of wall that may be in another room or hall for example) or be routed/run within the permited area between accessories and within internal angles. The cables must follow paths that are horizontal and vertical of the accessories or within 150mm off angles of adjoining walls. If walls are chased out the chase must be no more than 1/3 of the walls width as this would weaken the walls structure. Mechanical protection outside these areas should be steel and earthed.
Within ceiling and under floors the cable should be suitable supported and protected, Support and protection can be offered by running through conduit but again the the wooden joist structure should be left sound.
I generally drill through joist when needed with the path of the cable running straight or at right angles for turns, I clip the cables every 300mm for support the hole should be at 50mm from both floorboard and ceiling to prevent nails or screws damaging cables.
if you notch for conduit the notch should be no greater than 1/8th of joist depth and the route should again be placed where the structure of the joist is not weakened.
Protecting the circuit with a 30ma RCD will prevent electrical shock (and is a requirment) but will not protect cables being damaged.
Hope not too long winded and info of use
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:03 pm

I think it's good practice so to do.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm