Electric Hob Install and Advice Needed on Wiring Used by Electrician
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electric Hob Install and Advice Needed on Wiring Used by Electrician

by sfrazi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:20 am

I have a electric hob (input 5500W) which my electrician has connected to the cooker switch using a 6mm T+E cable.

My question is the installation guide states is should be "connected using 3 x 6mm / 3 x 2.5mm" and that "for this connection a power lead of wire type H05VV-F should be used".

Having googled the wire type its some sort of flex cable. Is the electrician right to use a 6mm T+E?

My configuration is a 6mm T+E from consumer unit(40A breaker) to the cooker isolation switch, then another 6mm T+E from isolation switch to the hob.
Is this correct or should the electrician have used a 2.5mm flex from the hob to the cooker isolation switch?

Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Electric Hob Install and Advice Needed on Wiring Used by Electrician

by kbrownie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:10 pm

I would have fitted a 32A breaker but 6mm cable will be fine on a 40A MCB.
I assume any buried cable is RCD protected.
Other than that, it is fine to use 6.00mm T&E from Consumer Unit to Outlet Plate.
The flex is then installed between outlet plate to appliance, they will specify a heat resistant flex.

sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sfrazi » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks for the response. The electrician has used a 6mm T+E rather than the 2.5mm flex from the cooker isolation switch to the hob. Are we saying I need to ring him and get him to change the 6mm to 2.5mm flex if I want everything to comply with regulations?
Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:13 pm

So the wiring from cooker switch/isolator goes directly to the appliance, rather than to a fixed outlet plate behind/beneath the appliance?

If T&E has been terminated at the hob from and outlet plate or isolator, then that goes against what the manufacturers are stating. T&E is not designed to be used as a substitute for flex, nor is it rated as a heat resistant product.
What is fitted/installed beneath the hob?

sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sfrazi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Yes the wiring from the hob is straight to the isolation switch using 6mm T+E.

Oven is directly below the hob.

Can the following heat resistant flex be used, manufacturer states H05VV-F, is this the same thing?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/time-heat-res ... hite/80786

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:32 am