electric hob
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

electric hob

by remelad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi chaps
looking for some advice could anyone tell me how close an electic hob can be installed next to a sink. I know socket outlets and control switches have to have a minimum clearence of 300mm, not sure if a hob would be the same.
Regards remelad

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:13 am

remelad,
Your right about a minimum distance of 300mm for socket-out from sink, no absolute distance regarding hobs. Common sense says as far as you can, enviromental influences must be a concern. Remember no electrical accessories directly behind hob neither.
KB

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by remelad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:26 am

Hi kbrownie,
thanks for your swift reply,you are right, commom sense does prevaile. Just turned down a job as customer wanted hob fitting close to sink and was not happy to do so. Somethings in this game make me laugh, you can have a socket in arms reach of a sink,then when it comes to a barthroom it has to be so much further away.
Kind Regards Remelad.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 pm

remelad,
It's based on the body being exposed to moisture and coming in contact with a live conductor, as you may be aware you can have a socket-outlet in a small room containing a basin and toilet say. That's allowed even though the area is confined.
The thing is if a shower or bath is in the room the potential for electric shook is greater, as the likelyhood is that the body is wet from taking a bath/shower and more at risk, if contact is made with a live conductor, as the resitance of the body is lower and electric will find is easiest path to earth.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Guys,
just to play 'devil's advocate' where in the regs. does it say 300mm or any other distance?
In fact the only mention is in regards to IP ratings; in theory it would be permissable to have an outdoor type IP56 rated outlet directly behind a sink!
You're quoting from NICCY's version of what they would like the regs to say, I believe.
Please prove me wrong by quoting a regs number.....
I will agree entirely common sense should prevail though, even though most people I know don't cook in the nuddy whilst standing in a bucket of water.........
regards SPARX

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by remelad » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:03 am

Hi Sparx,
I make you right, the distance of 300mm is quoted by NIC-EIC as i said earlier seems strange, you can have your hand in the sink and reach a socket outlet. You would think there would be something in the regs regarding distance, as we all know water and leckie don't mix. This is why i turned the work down, rather loose a pound,than some one's life.

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by remelad » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:05 am

Hi Sparx,
I make you right, the distance of 300mm is quoted by NIC-EIC as i said earlier seems strange, you can have your hand in the sink and reach a socket outlet. You would think there would be something in the regs regarding distance, as we all know water and leckie don't mix. This is why i turned the work down, rather loose a pound,than some one's life.
Regards remelad

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:52 am

Yes BS7671 doesn't specify unlike for bathroom zones. I remember seeing somewhere that 300 mm was "recommended".

How come your posts get through straight away without "moderation"?

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:32 am

Hi Sparx,
Nothing to do with your beloved NICCY,
It's part p requirement 5.2.2 iv accessories should be installed a minimum distance of 300mm from edge of kitchen sinks and drainage boards to reduce risk of being splashed.
[quote]
even though most people, I know don't cook in the nuddy whilst standing in a bucket of water......... You wasn't at my last Chirstmas Party!
KB [/quote]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi KB, your for next Christmas then!!!
you noticed my love of 'the dark side' eh!
please put an old man out of his misery and tell to which publication you refer?
Not IET regs or OSG,
not building regs 2006 approved doc.P
not ECA guide
I did have a copy of full building regs which I seem to have mislaid,
as I have booked a C&G 2391-10 course and exam for later this year but as yet don't have latest GN3 5th.ed. book need all info,
Title, ISBN number etc of what you are quoting would be great,
cheers,

Remelad, it's difficult, but sometimes we do just have to 'walk away'!

Rosebery, I've only seen it as a sensible 'recommendation' too.
As for other question,
when this forum was fairly new & moderators were watching closely they spotted some regular contributors on each catagory who seemed to be
trying to 'do it right' and checked on credentials/attitude etc and to enable the forums to be answered quickly gave us direct access to reply.
However, they do monitor us retrospectively & will /do tell us off if we misbehave in any way.

BTW peeps have you seen leading editorial in 'professional electrician ' rag (free from all leading wholesalers counters) slagging off anybody qualified who answers any posts on non-trade-only forums such as this?
Seems we are encouraging unqualified people to have a go,
my take is people are going to DIY with or without advice, at least If we feel they are out of their depth we can say so and advise on the legality or otherwise of their venture,

Cheers all,
sparx

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Sparx,
Sorry should have mentioned the reference was made from
The IEE Electricians Guide To The Building Regulations (updated 17th eds) ISBN 978-0-86341-862-4
Very much like OSG in size and lay out, not a must have but some handy pointers.
More that welcome for Christmas, bring your own bucket, i'll supply the water and AC.
KB

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by remelad » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi to all that have had a say in this post,
went round said friends to see what had been done in respect of said hob ,only to find that ,to my horror he had employed another friend to supply power to his cooker and hob via double socket outlet of the final ring circuit. Just shows that part p means nothing to some,as long as they get what they want and it works. Thanks for all the input from all those that have followed this post.
Kind regards to all Remelad.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Cheers KB gonna have to add that to me 'wish list'
Sparx

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:13 am

No worries sparx, good luck with C&G 2391-10