Electric Point Being on a Spur From a Wired Light and Extractor Fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Driver8
Labourer
Labourer

Electric Point Being on a Spur From a Wired Light and Extractor Fan

by Driver8 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi - I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some advice.

I need a plug socket added to an area in my dining room for a fridge, but there is no other socket that could be easily spurred from.

When I had the extension built however, there was a requirement for a wired extractor fan (integrated into the light switch) in a bathroom right next to where I need the plug socket (just on the other side of a stud wall).

Will the extractor fan switch be of the relevant rating to spur the required plug socket off you you know?

I intend to get an electrician to do this anyway, but just wondering if it can be done this way (easily and cheaper!) or whether it become more painful with re-routing or floor lifting etc!.

Cheers,

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electric Point Being on a Spur From a Wired Light and Extractor Fan

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Driver8

Possabiltity, the the rating of the existing fan outlet is different to your required Spur.
As you have stated , Get in your registered Electrician to advise you..

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:58 pm

An extractor fan does not require a lot of current, so chances are it would be wired in 1mm or 1.5mm cable (Which would be the norm) sockets can supply anything up to 13 Amps, so they require a bigger (2.5mm) cable.

Yes, get an electrician to check, but I would say the answer to your question is no, you can not put a socket for a fridge on the cable for the fan. (As the cable is too small)

Driver8
Labourer
Labourer

by Driver8 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Got it - thanks guys

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am