Electric Radiators
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Electric Radiators

Post by mraich » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi All. Just wonder if any of you know anything about KALIREL Electric Radiators. I am considering having one installed in a rom that has no heat at present. The Kalirel rep is touting it as THE most efficient electric radiator there is. How do they stand up efficiency-wise and cost-wise?
Thanks

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 pm

To become more or less efficient any storage system must be able not to release heat until required. I looked at the web site and they look nice but no real speculations as to how they “store” the heat. If you look at Gledhill and their hot water storage system the heat can be stored for a week if required so only when you need heating will you get heating. It also gives you mains pressure domestic hot water in big enough quantities to allow the use of power showers. There is also the mega flow system very similar except with latter whole tank is at mains pressure so needs annual checks.
The old brick storage radiators main failing was you could not turn the heat off and the only way to turn off heat is really good insulation and there is limit to how much insulation can be used with individual radiators but with a “Central” heating system the thermal store can have much more insulation and so far more efficient than any non-central system where heat is stored in little pockets around the house. I am sure they have the storage radiators up and running so you can test them the test is how little heat they give out after having become hot. With the “central” storage this is only a few watts into the airing cupboard so was not wasted. From what the kalirel web site says if you require heat all through the day they would seem to work OK in the middle of winter by in Autumn and Spring there are days where at mid-day no heat is required but in the evening heat is still required and this means the system must be able to totally turn off there is no data to show it can do this. In the summer it is nice to also store the heat ready for any cold snap again there is no information as to their ability to store heat for weeks on end. I am sure they are better than the old storage radiators using bricks but not convinced they are anywhere near as good as a “Central” heating system. I am luck I can heat with gas maybe someone can spread more light I would try posting in heating and ventilating section.
Eric

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Post by mraich » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:37 pm

[quote="ericmark"]To become more or less efficient any storage system must be able not to release heat until required. I looked at the web site and they look nice but no real speculations as to how they “store” the heat. If you look at Gledhill and their hot water storage system the heat can be stored for a week if required so only when you need heating will you get heating. It also gives you mains pressure domestic hot water in big enough quantities to allow the use of power showers. There is also the mega flow system very similar except with latter whole tank is at mains pressure so needs annual checks.
The old brick storage radiators main failing was you could not turn the heat off and the only way to turn off heat is really good insulation and there is limit to how much insulation can be used with individual radiators but with a “Central” heating system the thermal store can have much more insulation and so far more efficient than any non-central system where heat is stored in little pockets around the house. I am sure they have the storage radiators up and running so you can test them the test is how little heat they give out after having become hot. With the “central” storage this is only a few watts into the airing cupboard so was not wasted. From what the kalirel web site says if you require heat all through the day they would seem to work OK in the middle of winter by in Autumn and Spring there are days where at mid-day no heat is required but in the evening heat is still required and this means the system must be able to totally turn off there is no data to show it can do this. In the summer it is nice to also store the heat ready for any cold snap again there is no information as to their ability to store heat for weeks on end. I am sure they are better than the old storage radiators using bricks but not convinced they are anywhere near as good as a “Central” heating system. I am luck I can heat with gas maybe someone can spread more light I would try posting in heating and ventilating section.
Eric[/quote]

Many thanks, Eric for that.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:07 pm