All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
danielmayne
Labourer
Labourer

Electric Shower keeps tripping...

Post by danielmayne » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 am

Hi there

Everytime we switch on the isolator switch for our electric shower, then turn on the shower itself, it trips, we only got the shower in about 3 weeks ago and was fine before this started to occur today, can you help us with any advice..?

Thanks Daniel

jackhawk
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by jackhawk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi,
This work was carried out by a part P registered person or under L.A.B.C.
If so get the installer back. Did you have an old shower replaced with a new one. If so what is the Kw rating of the new one and what is the fuse rating and cable size used. It sounds like a short somewhere in the shower circuit. Was a cirt issued for this work? Is your fuse board a split load? Is the shower on the RCD side and does the RCD trip too?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:58 pm

What is tripping? Is it the RCD or something else? I'm told that it isn't necessary to switch the isolator on/off every time you use the shower. Sparks I know always fits the isolators above head height to stop the practice.

Fetch the sparky who fitted it back in again. Did he guarantee his work - his problem (probably).

Cheers

Jimwilson
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Jimwilson » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:01 pm

You'll probably find that neither of these answers are any use to you due to the lack of any info. I had the same problem. I swapped a shower like for like and the isolator fuse kept tripping after one or two showers. By the third shower it would definitely trip. The likelyhood is that the isolator fuse and/or holder is knackered. If you are using a 30amp fuse and holder exchange them for a new one. Did you get a new shower because the old one did not work? And was the old one a few years old?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:31 pm