Electric shower melting.....


Postby Fus1on » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:14 am

On using my Gainsborough 850 Electric show the other day i noticed a burning smell, So i turned it off and didnt use it again. But later i noticed that a hole had appeared in the top of the casing (melted). Ive opened the shower to see if i could see why its melting and one of the Black (Neutral) wires seems to be melting to the interior of the shower.......


Any ideas what could have caused this as i dont want to replace the shower and have the same problem again.

Thanks.....
Fus1on
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:09 am

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Please call an electrician to look at this and turn the shower electrical supply off at the consumer unit where it should be on its own circuit. Also look at our project on Part P of the building regulations.
thedoctor
Site Admin
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm


Postby Fus1on » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:51 pm

I have turned off the supply at the shower pull cord but i cant turn the trip switch off as it shares a switch with the cooker.

I know that isnt exactly safe but electricians dont come cheap..

Its only a year after we moved in that were finding all these electrical faults....

Tahts not to mention all the building botches we have found.....

Just goes to show when you buy a house and have a survey done it doesnt exactly check the basics......
Fus1on
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:09 am


Postby sparx » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi, further to 'DOC's' very valid comments, the reason for the burnt wiring if unit was still working is due to LOOSE CONNECTIONS these are usually caused by amateurs 'having a go' the result you can now see. This is the reason it is illegal to DIY in bathrooms , kitchens etc. I find it difficult to believe some body would 'share' a cooker circuit with a shower!!! It not only contravenes regulations it's bl**dy dangerous!
Cookers not usually on RCD but showers should be to be covered by makers guarantee & your safety.
Electricians cost much less than undertakers!!!!!!!
House surveyors are not qualified electricians, & typical 'drive-by' survey is only to make sure any mortgage co. will get their money back if buyer defaults!!
regards Fus1on (Not FUSSI-ONE then?), SPARX.
sparx
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.


Postby Fus1on » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:06 pm

[quote]I find it difficult to believe some body would 'share' a cooker circuit with a shower!!! It not only contravenes regulations it's bl**dy dangerous!
[/quote]

Trust me im not an idiot when it comes to basic Electricals, but this certainly is the case in my house. I can only assume the people who sold the house to us fitted the shower themselves.....

Nevermind im working on getting an electricion to replace the whole consumer unit with a view of having a safer supply to the shower, cooker and all other lights and sockets.

As far as the survey goes we paid extra to have a basic electrial system check. Surely this falls within basic electrical safety.....
Fus1on
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:09 am


Postby sparx » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:57 pm

HI agn,
If you paid for an electrical inspection you should have rcvd Inspection & test sheets in the form of a 'PERIODIC INSPECTION' report which would have highlighted this problem. Even after a year I would contact your sellers agent & ask why you haven't received one? We do lot's of these & altho' purchaser is paying, the report goes to the estate agent requesting the inspection as that's who pays us!!
regards SPARX
sparx
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.


Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:32 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
TheDoctor5
Site Admin
Posts: 1385
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


 


  • Related Topics