Electric Shower Not working

Postby Stillia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:43 am

I wondered if someone can help me with my parents shower...They have a Mira 8.5Kw shower & its around 4-5 years old, just recently its stopped working. Pressing the on-off button does'nt do anything at all, there's no water coming through or anything.
The neon light on the pull cord isolator switch has not worked for a while, so i'm wondering if the whole switch is broken.
I have used my testers on the shower connections & nothing came through. I then checked the isolator switch & one side there was power, but on the other side there was'nt.
I then checked the fuse board & the showers on it's own with an old style 30amp fuse (red dot) & looked at the cable, but can't tell whether its 6 or 10mm (although its white??). There seems to be power coming through the supply, so everything looks to be ok there. Should I just try buying a new 45amp shower switch or do you think the shower be broken???

Thanks.
Stillia

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 pm

Some items seem wrong 4-5 year old and feed from old style 30 amp fuse. No mention of a RCD! Is that the isolator you refer to?
As to cable size and colour again vast difference between 6mm² PVC and 10mm² XLPE/LSZH Low Smoke cable.
Old PVC was white and new XLPE is white so colour does not tell us much.
It looks like a switch problem, that is if it is a switch and not an RCD, but with so many unknowns, I would not recommend anything.
You must realise that electrics in bathrooms can be lethal and I am loathed to give advice where mistakes are so irreversible, so would recommend playing safe and getting someone in to look at it.
When I checked my parents system I found allsorts wrong like no earth to house and the problem with DIY is these types of fault are not found.
Yours Eric
ericmark

Sort by
Order by