Electric Shower wiring query?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thethinker_2
Labourer
Labourer

Electric Shower wiring query?

Post by thethinker_2 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Hello there folks :)

I have an electric shower that packed in a few weeks ago, it has been installed for 2 years and evrything was OK until it started to "pop" the mcb, so i did the usual stuff and checked and renewed the pull cord switch etc etc and eventually a new shower.

Now my problem is that the wiring for the shower goes up through my loft(which is floored) and then down through my cavity and into my kitchen where the electric supply is. now the wire is 10mm BUT it has 2 joins, 1 at the point of entry from the cavity in the kitchen(which is in a box and covered up) and the other join was in the loft under the floor, I located the join under the floor and noticed it was just wired into the little plastic screw type thing and wrapped in insulating tape, It has also melted and very nearly caused a fire but thankfully it was placed in the loft insulation which is fire proof.
Now I cannot now get new wire down my cavity as it has been bricked up and I have just completely done all my toilet and cant get the wire down through my water pipes cavity, so I am thinking of joining it again, I have been to the electricians and bought a metal junction box and 60 amp joiners and i am going to screw this to my wall to make a better safe join thats easy to get to if required.
I havn't bought the new wire yet as I would like some advice if the joins will be safe??

Oh to add, the shower that was in before I bought the house had been in for about 8 - 10 years so im thinking that the join had simply given way?? :?

Some friendly advice would be appreciated.

Cheers :wink: Billy

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electric Shower wiring query?

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:42 pm

[quote="thethinker_2"]Hello there folks :)

I have an electric shower that packed in a few weeks ago, it has been installed for 2 years and evrything was OK until it started to "pop" the mcb, so i did the usual stuff and checked and renewed the pull cord switch etc etc and eventually a new shower.

Now my problem is that the wiring for the shower goes up through my loft(which is floored) and then down through my cavity and into my kitchen where the electric supply is. now the wire is 10mm BUT it has 2 joins, 1 at the point of entry from the cavity in the kitchen(which is in a box and covered up) and the other join was in the loft under the floor, I located the join under the floor and noticed it was just wired into the little plastic screw type thing and wrapped in insulating tape, It has also melted and very nearly caused a fire but thankfully it was placed in the loft insulation which is fire proof.
Now I cannot now get new wire down my cavity as it has been bricked up and I have just completely done all my toilet and cant get the wire down through my water pipes cavity, so I am thinking of joining it again, I have been to the electricians and bought a metal junction box and 60 amp joiners and i am going to screw this to my wall to make a better safe join thats easy to get to if required.
I havn't bought the new wire yet as I would like some advice if the joins will be safe??

Oh to add, the shower that was in before I bought the house had been in for about 8 - 10 years so im thinking that the join had simply given way?? :?

Some friendly advice would be appreciated.

Cheers :wink: Billy[/quote]

BILLY
OK A 6O AMP CONNECTION SEEMS RATED TO MORE THAN SUIT CABLE . AND U PLAN TO ADD NEW LENGTH OF 10 MM2 TO PULLCORD
SWITCH. BUT THE WORK IS NOTIFIABLE BECAUSE YOU ARE RUNNING
NEW CABLE FROM JOINING POINT.
I WOULD ADVISE TO GET IN A PART P REGISTERED SPARK , AND REPLACE WITH A NEW CABLE BACK TO THE BOARD.
THE SPARK NEEDS TO CHECK EARTHING OF NEW CPC BY DOING R1+R2
EARTHING, RCD ECT.
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:48 am