Electric shower wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Carbs
Labourer
Labourer

Electric shower wiring

by Carbs » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:01 pm

We've been in our new house for going on a year now and I've recently noticed that the 10.5kW electric shower that was here when we moved in is wired using 6mm cable. On top of this, its wire type fuse on the consumer unit is only 30A.

My understanding is that a shower with that rating needs a 45A fuse and 10mm cable and whilst it has been working fine so far, I am now paranoid that something is going to burst into flames at any moment.

Can anyone help?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electric shower wiring

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:48 am

[quote="Carbs"]We've been in our new house for going on a year now and I've recently noticed that the 10.5kW electric shower that was here when we moved in is wired using 6mm cable. On top of this, its wire type fuse on the consumer unit is only 30A.

My understanding is that a shower with that rating needs a 45A fuse and 10mm cable and whilst it has been working fine so far, I am now paranoid that something is going to burst into flames at any moment.

Can anyone help?[/quote]

CARBS
GET YOUR LOCAL PART P ELECTICIAN , WHO IS REGISTERED
ON ONE OF THE SELF CERTIFICATION SCHEMES ( E.C.A , NAPPIT , NICEIC ) , HE WILL TELL YOU WHICH ONE HE IS REGISTERED WITH.
ASK HIM TO CHANGE CABLE AND MCB TO APPROPIATE VALUES AS U HAVE STATED , AND HE WILL GIVE U ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERT
FOR WORK DONE . PART P FOLLOWS FROM SCHEME PROVIDER.
VALID FOR 10 YEARS UP TO NEXT PERIODIC.
BLAKEY1963

Carbs
Labourer
Labourer

by Carbs » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:52 pm

CARBS
ON ONE OF THE SELF CERTIFICATION SCHEMES ( E.C.A , NAPPIT , NICEIC ) , HE WILL TELL YOU WHICH ONE HE IS REGISTERED WITH.
ASK HIM TO CHANGE CABLE AND MCB TO APPROPIATE VALUES AS U HAVE STATED , AND HE WILL GIVE U ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERT
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Thanks Blakey1963

Does this mean that the current set up is dangerous? Should we stop using the shower?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:20 pm

[quote="Carbs"]CARBS
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Thanks Blakey1963

Does this mean that the current set up is dangerous? Should we stop using the shower?[/quote]

CARBS
OBVIOUSLY THE UNIT WILL OPERATE UNDER CURRENT SET UP
BUT THE 6MM2 IS UNDER RATED AND BE INCREASING IN CONDUCTOR OPERATING TEMPERATURE WHEN SHOWER DRAWING
FULL CURRENT. PROTECTIVE DEVICE IS ALSO BEING ALLOWED TO
CARRY EXCESSIVE CURRENT ABOVE ITS RATING, SO IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO REFRAIN FROM USING THE SHOWER AND GET THE
WORK CARRIED OUT ASAP.
BLAKEY1963

Carbs
Labourer
Labourer

by Carbs » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Will do Blakey1963.

Thanks for your advice

paul g
Labourer
Labourer

by paul g » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:51 pm

Make sure also that the shower is earthed properly.

Carbs
Labourer
Labourer

by Carbs » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks Paul G.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:42 am