electric switch in bathroom

Postby billie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:48 pm

I would very much appreciate someone's help and advice. I had a qualified electrician do some work in my bathroom. Part of the job was fitting a bathroom fan heater on the wall. He has wired it directly into a fused spur(I think that's what its called) which he fitted on the wall (runs up from the main fuse board). The fan has a pull cord but the fused spur box has an ON/OFF SWITCH too. The box and the heater are 110 cms away from the sink. My query is this...is it OK for the fused spur to have a switch in the bathroom. Several people have commented adversely.
Thanks very much for any help from anyone. "Little Miss Worried"
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 pm

This seems as you say wrong, but if done after 1st Jan 2008 it may be within the regulations. The sink has no bearing it is the bath that counts. Originally the walls were the boundary to a bathroom now it is 3 meters from bath or shower so sockets can be fitted in a bedroom with a shower normally bathrooms are not big enough to get 3 meters from bath or shower. As for switches once outside zone 2 (there is no longer a zone 3) there is nothing to say you shouldn't but if done to 17th Edition then everything else would also have to conform everything protected by RCD to 415.1.1 and needs to be 0.6 meters from bath or shower or over 2.25 meters high. The paperwork needs to refer to BS 7671:2008 not BS 7671:2001. I would not fit a switch in a bathroom even if it is allowed. But to point the finger and say it is wrong without seeing the job I can't do either. Did he issue all the paperwork with building controls bit under Part P. I would not want to use the switch.

Postby billie » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:54 pm

hi ericmark.
I REALLY appreciate you taking the time and trouble to reply to my query. I'm sorry the notification email from diydoctor went into my spam in btyahoo and didn't get automatically forwarded to my normal inbox, so I didn't find out about your reply till just now. Please accept my apologies.
The certificate looks like a kosher NICEIC one and it says the work is compliant with Regulations 4 & 7 of the Building Regs 2000. I can't see anything about Part P. It was issued on 14/9/07 and its got a certificate number.
I've checked the measurements from the bath and its 1.90 metres from the edge of the bath and 2.10 metres from the inside of the bath. Still not happy about it as its so close to the sink , but it seems like its within regulations then.
I will be getting Building Control around about another part of my renovations sometime over the next year, so I can get them to look at it then. Your reply was really helpful. Thank you so much.
Best regards. Billie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Postby ericmark » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:39 pm

Sorry I don’t have 16th Edition to hand but I do have some notes:-
1.90 metres = Zone 3 this no longer exists but did when the work was done.
601-09-03 Bottom of reg. In zone 3 current-using equipment other than fixed current-using equipment shall be protected by a residual current device with rated residual operating current (I∆n) not exceeding 30 mA in accordance with Regulation 412-06.
So it must be protected by an earth leakage trip these always have a test button and are in the consumer unit it could be built in with current trip or separate.
As to paper work there will be the stuff written out and signed by the man doing the job and testing it. If you follow links in projects you can download Part P and on page 23 to 32 it shows example of the paper work to be made out and sent to council and your self. If you see top of Page 13 it refers to Building Regulations completion certificate etc. This is the Part P bit and will come from council or clearing agent a list is found on Page 42.
I can test and fill in the forms page 23 to 32 but not the Part P bit but there is nothing to say I as the electrician is responsible for this Part P bit in fact since disabled people can get it free quite common to get house holder to apply for it. And with the one I did no paperwork came from council so it was only because it was my Dads house I know it all went through. But at the end of the day the house holder is responsible for ensuring it is all completed. That is England and Wales there is no Part P in Scotland. In New Zealand they have repealed their Part P equivalent because of the increase in accidents due to extension leads and adaptors. But although the council can confirm if Part P has been registered you may be opening a can of worms. And although I would not be fitting a switched fuse where he has fitted it unless he has missed out earth leakage can’t see it is actually against regulations. Maybe some of the other sparks on this page can see something I have missed?

Postby billie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:39 am

Hi again ericmark,
It's one of those things that seem to have thrown up as many questions as answers! But it certainly helped me out; thanks again.
Regards. Billie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics