Electric water heating
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

Electric water heating

by stuart_craigon2003 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:11 am

Hi all, I am looking into buying a 14 bed hotel in Scotland.
There are one or two problems with this and I would like some advice if you would please.

There is main cold water
There is NO mains drainage (septic tank I think!)
There is LPG gas for cooking
There is Oil for water heating
There are Electric panel heaters in the rooms.

I defiantly want to get rid of the oil- (Tank and boiler) I'm not sure whether I should heat the water by LPG or electric. I know I pretty much need Instant hot water so there is no standing heat loss and so it doesn’t run out mid shower on one of the customers, and I need hot water all day for the kitchen. (Note the hotel has a Restaurant for 22 covers- thought that might change things??!)

I can't find an Instantaneous electric water heater big enough anywhere on the net.

Can someone please please help on this one??

Thank you.

Stuart
[i][u][/u][/i]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed May 28, 2008 10:28 am

You won't get an instant electric hot water heater of the size you require. the power supply needed would be absolutely huge.

As far as I can see, the existing setup using LPG and oil is probably going to be the best and most cost effective solution. Maybe the only change could be the use of a combination boiler run from LPG that would supply an instant hot water supply but you still may have difficulty in supplying sufficient hot water to several showers if they are used at once.

scoinsdev
Labourer
Labourer

by scoinsdev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:56 pm

look at a heatre sadia elec combi boiler, just having 1 fitted to my listed house, as i cant have a flue thru the wall, or tanks, acts as central heating and water. i'm using it for a 6 bed house, with Living Room, Dining (both 2 rads) 6 beds( 1 x rad each) 3 baths (1x rads each) 3 landings / hallways )1 x each) and a large kitchen/ breakfast room whis is 1 large & underfloor. - so 17 plus underfloor, and my plumber reckons it will cope with all that - the baths all have mixer showers and baths to fill.

ideal - no lpg bill - gas is pricey now. i'm running this off economy 10. so should be efficient.

James Scoins

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:15 am