Electrical advice on connecting range cooker
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dbnclare
Labourer
Labourer

Electrical advice on connecting range cooker

by dbnclare » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:19 am

Need some advice. I have a range cooker that has a fan oven, normal electric oven and a grill but the hob is gas. The maximum wattage for all together is 5.74kw. I have been told this is connected into our main ring and works off a 13amp fuse switch.

After getting my kitchen replaced the kitchen fitter said it should have a seperate supply and be at least on a 30amp fuse. Unfortunately he was not doing any electircal work for us so having to now sort this out.

I have had some electricians in to quote and have got conflicting information from them. One has said that I definately need to change the supply and another has said it is fine as it is. He said the only thing that could happen is that if I used both ovens and grill at maximum level at same time there is a chance it would blow that fuse but then you just replace the fuse. He said that if I had an electric hob as well then he would definately advise getting a new supply but otherwise it is ok as it is.

So need some advice about what I should do as want to finish tiling my kitchen but can't if I need to get a new cable added.
:?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electrical advice on connecting range cooker

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:56 pm

[quote="dbnclare"]Need some advice. I have a range cooker that has a fan oven, normal electric oven and a grill but the hob is gas. The maximum wattage for all together is 5.74kw. I have been told this is connected into our main ring and works off a 13amp fuse switch.

After getting my kitchen replaced the kitchen fitter said it should have a seperate supply and be at least on a 30amp fuse. Unfortunately he was not doing any electircal work for us so having to now sort this out.

I have had some electricians in to quote and have got conflicting information from them. One has said that I definately need to change the supply and another has said it is fine as it is. He said the only thing that could happen is that if I used both ovens and grill at maximum level at same time there is a chance it would blow that fuse but then you just replace the fuse. He said that if I had an electric hob as well then he would definately advise getting a new supply but otherwise it is ok as it is.

So need some advice about what I should do as want to finish tiling my kitchen but can't if I need to get a new cable added.
:?[/quote]

DBNCLARE

I would install a 6mm2 cable on a 32 amp mcb as a new
cooker circuit.
check doc s project section regarding part p implications
for this work.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:59 pm

5.74kW = 25 amp most ring mains run on 32 amp so the ring would not really run anything else. If as I think your saying it is on a 13 amp supply off ring main you are only able to run half the items on your cooker before you get an overload which for 364 days of the year may be OK but come Christmas then you are looking for problems just when you least need them. One hopes it has got 13 amp fuse as anyone daft enough to install a 5.74kw cooker on a 13 amp supply is also daft enough to fit a ¼ inch bit of bolt instead of a fuse. Both electricians are right in a way, yes it should have its own supply but also so long as wiring is up to scratch and correct fuses used then all it is likely to do is blow a fuse. Not got figures for 13 amp fuse but 15 and will run 46 amp for 5 seconds and 25 amp for nearly an hour but 16 amp circuit breaker will be a lot quicker and 25 amp will likely trip in about 20 minuets still putting a lot of strain on all junctions and even if it will work I would advise a new supply.
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:16 pm