Electrical installation certificates
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
murphy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electrical installation certificates

by murphy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:16 am

Hi. When filling in certificates, how do you work out the Max Demand (Load) . Is it Simply a matter of applying Diversity to each circuit?. I am not part P registered so job is going through LABC. Do they require an EIC as well as Schedules of Inspection/ Test. As you can gather most of my work is Non-Notifiable Minor works (Easy life ! ).
Whilst on the subject of LABC,the BC officer came to inspect my work (consumer unit upgade) , looked at it for 30 seconds , tugged on the Equipotential bond to gas , told me that he was not an Electrician and that i know more about these things than him!. To me this Notification system is a joke.
Rant over !

Cheers Murphy.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:06 pm

It one was to use diversity to work out maximum load on a 12 way board it would in many cases exceed the maximum rating of both incoming fuse and ratting of consumer unit. On the other hand you have no way to see what size fuse has been fitted to the main incomer as it is sealed so since the maximum is 100 amp unless you have some paperwork from the supply authority to say otherwise I would enter 100 amp on paperwork. Unless, of course, it’s a small house.
I don’t think the LABC have a clue what they want and will accept what ever you give them. I have only had to do it once and there was no problem. Mind you I did calculate all readings to ensure everything would add up just in case they use any software to check what I had entered.
I also got the I’m not an electrician maybe I should have pointed out he was still responsible for my safety but can’t see point in upsetting them so it was “Well I am and I’m not going to submit any paperwork which may fail.” And he seemed happy at that.
I used Form 2, Form 3, Form 4 of the IET sample forms since I had taken over the job. And there were no signatures for Design and Installation on the firms name and they did not pick me up on it. So I did submit an EIC although not correctly completed.
And since the person I was doing the work for was disabled there was no fee. It took over the allotted time to get the completion certificate so I would assume they sent it somewhere to be vetted.
He never visited to completed job. Even though it also involved an lintel, new ceiling, under floor heating, drainage and a consumer unit.
And yes it does seem to be a joke and is resulting in bad workmanship not being reported for fear of what will happen when people admit they did not inform LABC before they started. But for the registered electricians it has resulted in a more regimented following of the rules and does mean home owners are better off where then use a registered electrician. But again my son who works for a registered firm has admitted he has in error filled in wrong boxes when entering R1 + R2 and put it in R2 box by mistake and it was never picked up in spite of as a result the calculated Zs would have been too high.
If Sparx answers go by what he says he has more experience than me on domestic work.
Eric

murphy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by murphy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks for that ericmark.
I find the form filling a nightmare, that could come back and bite you on the bum at a later date !.

Cheers
Murphy.

speedygonzarlis
Tradesman
Tradesman

by speedygonzarlis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 pm

In the hole of the country there are only two counties with a proper part P office thats oxford and bradford, i was told this by the labc officer from bradford when he came out to inspect a job i did, he told me that is only because him and a guy in oxford were fully qualified sparx!!
he admitted every other office hadn't a clue, and that there was far too much work going on for any office to cope with, all that'll happen is a secretary will file paperwork!!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 pm