Electrician hasn't provided Part P cert - what can I do?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MHAD
Labourer
Labourer

Electrician hasn't provided Part P cert - what can I do?

by MHAD » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:59 am

Hi folks,

We bought our house this time last year and had loads of work to do on it before we could move in.

One of the jobs was electrical work - we had new sockets installed, a dodgy ring replaced with a proper one, and some extras like alarm wiring, TV coax, phone etc.

The work was done by a local electrician who recommended through a colleague. He is registered for Part P, and the work was completed in November last year. I'm fairly happy with the work - I don't have any concerns about whether it was done properly.

I still haven't had the Part P certificate. I know that the guy had some personal problems after Christmas so I didn't chase immediately. Since February though I have chased and chased for the certificate to no avail. I was told it had been posted once, but nothing arrived.

I contacted my council Building Control to see if they could offer any advice - all they said was to find out which body the electrician is registered with and speak to them.

I can't find a list of which bodies there are - is there one online anywhere?

He said that he is with Amtec, but I can't find anything about them.

Two weeks ago I sent a letter by Recorded Delivery to ask for the certificate. He did respond and said that he would sent a replacement as the original "must have got lost". However nothing yet - I feel like I am still being fobbed off.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do to get the work certified? If I need to get it inspected by someone else, will this cost a lot and will it be disruptive (ie: floors up, walls chased all over again?) I've re plastered and decorated now so the last thing I want to do is ruin all that.

Thanks very much.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electrician hasn't provided Part P cert - what can I do?

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:09 pm

[quote="MHAD"]Hi folks,

We bought our house this time last year and had loads of work to do on it before we could move in.

One of the jobs was electrical work - we had new sockets installed, a dodgy ring replaced with a proper one, and some extras like alarm wiring, TV coax, phone etc.

The work was done by a local electrician who recommended through a colleague. He is registered for Part P, and the work was completed in November last year. I'm fairly happy with the work - I don't have any concerns about whether it was done properly.

I still haven't had the Part P certificate. I know that the guy had some personal problems after Christmas so I didn't chase immediately. Since February though I have chased and chased for the certificate to no avail. I was told it had been posted once, but nothing arrived.

I contacted my council Building Control to see if they could offer any advice - all they said was to find out which body the electrician is registered with and speak to them.

Two weeks ago I sent a letter by Recorded Delivery to ask for the certificate. He did respond and said that he would sent a replacement as the original "must have got lost". However nothing yet - I feel like I am still being fobbed off.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do to get the work certified? If I need to get it inspected by someone else, will this cost a lot and will it be disruptive (ie: floors up, walls chased all over again?) I've re plastered and decorated now so the last thing I want to do is ruin all that.

Thanks very much.[/quote]

MHAD
IDEALLY YOU NEED TO CONCLUDE YOUR INQUIRY AND FIND OUT
AS BUILDING CONTROL SAY , WHO THIS ELECTRICIAN IS REGISTERED WITH FOR HIS SLEF CERTIFICATION OR PART P AS WE CALL IT. THERE ARE THE FOLLOWING BODIES THAT ELECTRICIANS
CAN REGISTER WITH. E.C.A.( THE ELECTRICAL CONTRACTERS ASSOCIATION )
N.A.P.I.T. ( NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PROFFESSIONAL TESTERS )
NICEIC ( NATIONAL INSPECTION COUNCIL FOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONTRACTING ).
U CAN FIND THESE ONLINE WITH CONTACT DEATAILS AND TEL NUMBERS
THERE ARE ALSO THE FOLLOWING WHO DO SLEF CERTIFICATION SCHEMES.
BRE CERTIFICATION LTD. 0870 6096093
BSI. 01442 230442
ELECSA LTD 0870 7490080.
ONCE U HAVE TRIED ALL SCHEME OPERATORS AND ENQUIRED OF THEM ALL !!!!!!!!
AN OUTSIDE ELECTRICIAN WOULD DO A PERIODIC INSPECTION TO
RECORD THE CONDITION OF THE INSTALLATION. WOULD INVOLVE VISUAL VERIFICATION AND EXAMINATION OF CIRCUITS , EARTHING
MAINS BOARD ECT.
LETS WAIT TO SEE IF U CAN CHECK WHO THIS ELECTRICIAN IS WITH
AND IF THIS SCHEME PROVIDER OF PART P , CAN CLARIFY HE HAS RECORDED THE WORK WITH THEM. U COULD RING B.C IF U KNOW WHO HE REGISTERED WITH.
BLAKEY1963

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Electrician hasn't provided Part P cert - what can I do?

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:19 pm

[quote="MHAD"]Hi folks,

Thanks very much.[/quote]

MHAD
FORGOT TO MENTION SOMTHING ELSE THAT COULD HELP ?
U SAID THAT THE ELECTRCIAN MENTIONED THAT HE WAS WITH
AMTEC ??????????
DO U MEAN OFTEC BY ANY CHANCE ( OIL FIRING TECHNICAL
ASSOCIATION FOR THE PETROLEUM INDUSTRY LTD )

TEL 0845 6585080

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi I hesitate to try to add anything to Blakeys excellent reply, as for certs, he should have issued IEE test certs to you at time of the work, Part P certs are issued as Blakey says by his registered body to you & bldg control & can take up to a month to arrive, it does seem like a 'fob-off' as unlikely both his IEE sheets & Part P ones both 'lost in post'
If you find who he is registered with & they can't get him back they will pay for someone else to retest, & correct any errors! so go for it b4 paying out agn. regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 pm