Electrics in the kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3lb hammer
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics in the kitchen

Post by 3lb hammer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi All,

I'm wanting to install a new kitchen and for the electrics I need to complete three minor projects.

1) Move two sockets and remove a number of other sockets.

2) Install a new cooker isolator

3) Install a new cooker hood isolator

I think that the new Part P that has come into play since I last did this would prevent me from completing this. Can anyone explain what a competant person is and how difficult it would be to be able to get a clean bill of health so that I could certificate this.

Thanks

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:09 am

There is a link to Part P in the projects section. You can still DIY and you need to pay the local council building control but they are not cheap and for minor works you can end up paying them more than it would cost to get a registered electrician to do the work.
It is a free down load and once you have scanned through it feel free to ask more questions.
If you do want to DIY forms without "On Line Version" printed on them are available on IET web site for free.
Do read page 23 onwards and consider if you could undertake the required tests the meters can cost £750 and this in most cases stops DIY.
If the LABC do not like your reading they can retest at their cost but you are required to do it first.
LABC around the country seem to have different methods and rules. They become responsible for site safety and as such may require some qualification before allowing one to work but it seems many councils don't know what they are doing and even the document I have told you to down load seems to contradict itself the registered spark bit has worked well but the DIY bit through council is a complete sham.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:30 am

Call in a part p registered spark and have a chat with him and he can best advise you and perhaps he let you do the donkey work under his supervision and then he can test the work and sign it off
regards
Topspark

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:13 am